1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was walking out of the gun shop the other day when I guy I knew was walking in with a 40 year old Winchester '94 in .30-30.
Me: What's up?
Guy: Gonna put this '94 on consignment. I'm getting divorced.
Me: Really? That sucks. What caliber and condition?
Guy: Nearly new, I have never shot it. It's a .30-30
Me: How much you want for it?
Guy: How about $100?
Me: SOLD!

:)

I love a happy ending.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Sounds like you had a lucky day. :rock:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy crap!

Great deal, they are going for around $795.00 in good condition here in Central Texas.
And...I gave it away. My friend who is a....liberal expressed some interest in shooting and I decided since I didn't really want this gun I would give it to him as a gift and teach him how to shoot. I have a modern Marlin .30-30 and have no need for another one.

You know what they say. If you loan a liberal a gun he gets to shoot for a day but if you give a liberal a gun he may get his head out of his kester and see the error of his ways.

I would have kept the Winchester and gave him the Marlin but I just love my li'l Marlin carbine. I do think the Marlins are better made. Either way I made a good friend happy and hopefully he will become a future gun nut.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
And...I gave it away. My friend who is a....liberal expressed some interest in shooting and I decided since I didn't really want this gun I would give it to him as a gift and teach him how to shoot. I have a modern Marlin .30-30 and have no need for another one.

You know what they say. If you loan a liberal a gun he gets to shoot for a day but if you give a liberal a gun he may get his head out of his kester and see the error of his ways.

I would have kept the Winchester and gave him the Marlin but I just love my li'l Marlin carbine. I do think the Marlins are better made. Either way I made a good friend happy and hopefully he will become a future gun nut.
Yeah, now your friend will probably sell it to the cops in a police buy back for $50.00.:biglaugh::)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, now your friend will probably sell it to the cops in a police buy back for $50.00.:biglaugh::)
Well, if that happens....let's just say there will be one less Hillary Clinton supporter. :biglaugh:

Actually, he is really excited about it and we're gonna teach the 'ol boy how to shoot now.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
You're a lucky man. I would've snatched it up also were I in your place.

·
Registered
946 Posts
About $1500.
Holy Crap!

Ya, Ive been watching them just keep going higher. One month before Winchester "moved East" I picked up a 1962 (my birth year) model 94 in mint condition with a beautiful stock on it for $350.00. I thought it was kind of high at the time!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I haven't used the gun to hunt in many years, but am thinking about doing some stalking and possible close shooting next year and might use it again. A couple of questions relating to changes I might want to make and to value, and again thanks to those of you who know the answers.

One of the reasons I stopped using it for deer was that the trigger is awfully heavy. Would it affect the value to have that lightened?

Also, years ago when I used it in wet weather, it got some surface rust and in removing that at that time a lot of the original bluing got removed. Are old 94s like old 1911s in that they are better left as is and not re-blued.

Where would I find a correct replacement for the front sight protector? Not sure if that is the term for the piece that slides over the front site. Was that just for protection, or does it supposedly have a sighting function? I took mine off because I sighted better without it.

Again, thanks for the information.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I haven't used the gun to hunt in many years, but am thinking about doing some stalking and possible close shooting next year and might use it again. A couple of questions relating to changes I might want to make and to value, and again thanks to those of you who know the answers.

One of the reasons I stopped using it for deer was that the trigger is awfully heavy. Would it affect the value to have that lightened?

Also, years ago when I used it in wet weather, it got some surface rust and in removing that at that time a lot of the original bluing got removed. Are old 94s like old 1911s in that they are better left as is and not re-blued.

Where would I find a correct replacement for the front sight protector? Not sure if that is the term for the piece that slides over the front site. Was that just for protection, or does it supposedly have a sighting function? I took mine off because I sighted better without it.

Again, thanks for the information.
I am not the one to answer your questions on value as I'm just an amateur. I am fortunate in that my model 94 has a great trigger. There are a couple of forums about lever guns that might help you more with value and modifications. I believe it is called ‘Leverguns’.

As for the ‘front sight hood’, just go to Google and type that phrase into the search window and you will find a whole bunch of them. Its purpose is to keep the front sight in the same light all the time but as you have figured out, some people see it better without the hood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts