1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - first post. I have been visiting the sight for years and have always found answers to every question I've ever had by using the search functions. This may be a bad question for a 1911 forum - but I was hoping someone would share tips on installing a new (Marbles) front sight? I am replacing the front sight blade on my Winchester 94 - Legacy (45LC). I have removed the original and hope to receive the new sight later this week. Are there any tricks to installing and centering? A couple of questions come to mind - amount of interference? Lubricating the new sight for "pressing" in? I have read (forum search) about putting dipples in the dovetail, etc. Is sight installtion really that simple?

·
Administrator
13,295 Posts
Welcome

I'll bet we have more than a few M94 owners here :cool:

However , before I remove the front sight , I place a mark on the barrel with a pencil corresponding with the blade center . That makes it easy to center the replacement .

The replacement blades are many times slightly oversized to fit the dovetail better . It may be necessary to carefully remove some metal from the bottom of the front sight with a file . You might apply a very small amount of oil on the dovetail more for corrosion protection than for lubrication .

Dimples are a way of securing the blade in the dovetail if it's a loose fit . I don't think you'll experience this .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Guy - I appreciate your help. I picked up this Winchester so I could shoot the same loads I am shooting in my Super Redhawk (454 Casull). I am hoping the Marbles sight will improve it even more!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Winchester 94

I have an all original 1894 SRC with express rear and standard carbine front, the rifle was made in 1908, Oh did I mention that I picked it up at a flea market for $300, it has case hardened receiver, lever, barrel band and buttplate. So far with the original sights, 3 years, 3 deers, 3 shots.

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts