1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I am looking for some help with a lever gun problem. I have a Winchester M94 pre ‘64 in 30-30 that has a feed problem. When I work the lever down the fresh cartridge pops up into place to be fed like normal. When I work it forward, the nose of the cartridge misses the chamber and jams into the top of the chamber (where the cutout for the extractor is). This happens more often when I work the lever briskly. It happens on at least 50 percent of the shots. I have owned the gun for a while and I do not remember it causing any trouble before now, but I just recently got back into shooting it.

My guess is the carrier (the thing that elevates the next round) lifting the cartridge too high. The cartridge guides do not appear to be loose. This happens with WW and RP 170 grain factory ammo. Anyone have any suggestions as to the cause of the problem or how to fix it? Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most I have seen with this problem comes from a bent carrier or worn carrier dog. Levers are designed to be worked briskly, not in a slower motion. THis is not an expensive repair and you can prob do it yourself if you are familiar with the 94. If not, have a smith do it for you.

www.martincustom.com

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I suspect the carrier. I don't have much experience with the M94, but it looks like the carrier has been 'worked on' by the previous owner. I am not sure what the carrier dogs are. I can't find them on this chart. Is there another name for them?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts