1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some Winchester 230 gr. 45 ACP Subsonic Ammo. It is very accurate, but I was wondering if anyone carries it or has run any test on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice gimmick, seeing that the speed of sound is well above the velocity of any 230-grain loading in .45ACP. It's like saying I have a subsonic minivan...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:biglaugh: Very Funny

Seriously though, I am carrying this ammo in a Springfield Ultra Compact. It has a very low recoil. I would compare the recoil to the Federal Personal Defense 165 gr. The muzzle flash is also very low. The round is also extremely accurate. I grouped about 1” at 7 yards. I like the fact that this is a 230 gr bullet too. My question is has anyone ran any test on this brand of Winchester Ammo in the 45? I have found some info on the 9mm and 40 Cal, but not the 45.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Are you guys referring to Winchester "Personal Protection" USA45JHP ammo? The kind one can purchase at Wal-Mart?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No. I picked this up from the range. It says Winchester SubSonic and it is in a silver box. I have not seen this at the Walmart here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've got a couple of black boxes of Win subsonic hollowpoint "deep penetrator". Probably 10 yrs old, very large hollowpoint 230gr, "law enforcement" not black talon. They shoot very accurately, don't know about defense potential. I'll use Rangers for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts