1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious - I purchased a 100rd box from wally world for $19.97 - was wondering are these the same run as the regular Q series? Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ol1911 said:
I'm curious - I purchased a 100rd box from wally world for $19.97 - was wondering are these the same run as the regular Q series? Thanks.
Someone mentioned that Winchester makes 2 types of target ammo, the Q load, and an elusive USA load. They didn't say anything about what they are, but supposedly the way to tell was on the box. The Winchester part number would either start with the 'Q' or a 'USA' marking. The only trouble is, I can't verify it, since I never saw a 'USA' part number except on the value pack.

IMO, the 100rnd wally world ammo is the same as the Q series.

·
Registered
271 Posts
FWIW, my only experience with the Value Paks is the 9mm 115gr stuff. Those 100-round boxes have a bullet that has a much lighter colored jacket (almost the same color as the brass - a bright gold-ish color) that the regular 50-round boxes of 9mm 115gr. Those bullets have a more typical copper-ish color to them.

I wonder if the Value-Pak jacketing material is from a different source or maybe a different alloy of copper??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Unexpicably, my 9mm high cap magazines would malfunction with the valuepak rounds but would never malfunction with the USA box of 50.

I don't know why but I tried to compare bullets one time and they appeared slightly different in size and like the previous poster said about color. I don't know if the tolerances are greater on the valuepak ("reject" rounds by QC standards)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Winchester value packs

I have used this ammo in 9mm, 40 S&W, and .45 and have been very pleased with. No problems of any kind. The 9mm and 40 S&W are close to the same price as the Wolf brands without the problems you have with Wolf (i.e. dirty).

:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have cleaned out Wally world twice, shot the ammo and cleaned them out again. Results, the 100 round Winchester is just as fine as the 50 round packs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have fired quite a bit of this through my Kimber. It feels identical to the 230gr HP Winchester white box ammo that I use for carry. Works great. Reasonable accuracy (not as good as Federal, but that may just be my pistol). Not as clean as the Federal, but not as dirty as UMC. These make for great practice fodder.

Daniel
Austin, Texas

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do not shoot the white box through a supressor as it is very gritty, (you might notice the grit when you clean). It sandblasts your supressor internals with that superheated grit. I have seen it wear stainless suppressor baffles to sharpened edge.

But of course its your suppressor shoot what you want.

G

·
The .45 value packs I bought yesterday say USA45AVP on them.

I've never seen this "Q" designation you refer to.

What's it supposed to signify?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told that the "vaule pack" 45auto is not the same as the "Q" series 50 pack.

Something about the case its loaded in is different. There is more of a "hitch" on the "value pack" cases. The "Q" series has a smoother case...and for 1911's that are finiky - you should use the regular 50 pack boxes.

does this make sense or was someone playin me.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
415 Posts
The 9 mm value packs use brass jacketed bullets, while the standard 50-round White Box has copper jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like 9mm value pack fr the Macs. Can comment on the .45 I would prefer copper jacket over brass I guess for longer barrel life. With the Mac who cares.

·
Registered
521 Posts
ol1911 said:
I was told that the "vaule pack" 45auto is not the same as the "Q" series 50 pack.

Something about the case its loaded in is different. There is more of a "hitch" on the "value pack" cases. The "Q" series has a smoother case...and for 1911's that are finiky - you should use the regular 50 pack boxes.

does this make sense or was someone playin me.... :rolleyes:
Just my .02. Sounded like a fun experiment, so I bought a value pack and a full priced box of 50 and compared them. At least in my test case, they looked identical and shot identical. Same amount of residue, same recoil, so I assume they had the same load. The spent cases looked to be the same brass (thickness and color wise).

I took one of each, at random, and asked a friend of mine who reloads and has been shooting a lot longer than me. He could see no difference either and since I had mixed them up, I didn't know which was which. We even looked at them through a Jewelers Loop (5x) and saw no diference.

Could the supposed difference be an urban legend? I don't know about their 9mm, but the .45 sure seem to be the same.

Ernon

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are the 100 round value packs available in 40's? I asked the wally wprld guys at a couple different stores and could not get an straight answer although none of them had 40's in the value packs, but that said, they did not have 45's either.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Gunski, Wally World does indeed sell Win. 100 rd. Value Pack in.40 S&W 165gr. I bought a box at my local store in Western North Carolina two weeks ago for $14.97, plus tax.

·
Registered
516 Posts
In Florida, the Walmarts are selling 9m, 40S&W, 45ACP in the 100 packs. However they don't seem to stock more than a few boxes at a time. When sold they re-order from the main warehouse...

Question: Has anyone ever seen the W-W 100 packs for sale at any other outlet? I do believe that Walmart made a BIG deal with Winchester to sell these 100 packs as a special deal for Wallymart..... Just my take on it!! Heck of a great price though...

BTW, I also see NO difference between the 50 and 100 packs other than they use one less box for packaging. It also shoots the same in 3 of my guns I tried it in....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hjk, thanks. I could not get a straight answer at WW, but made a few stops at different stores bases on your post and found someone who had a clue and 4 boxes of 40 S&W for 14.97. Thanks for the info.

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
URBAN LEGEND!

The Value packs are the same ammo in cheaper packaging and sold en masse to WallyWorld.

Great stuff-the only 9mm I shoot anymore.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are the 50 and the 100 round boxes the same?

Anthony Lombardo,

Are you sure that the Winchester 50 round boxes and 100 Value paks are the same ammo?

My CZ has a problem with FTEs when shooting the Value Pak ammo. It hasn't had a problem with the 50 round boxed ammo. But, I haven't shot enough of the 50 rounds boxes to get a good feel for the FTE problem.

I also remember getting different velocities from the two, but
I did not record the different velocities.

Just Wondering,

jkelly

1 - 20 of 72 Posts