1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot Winchester Winclean which I bought at Walmart today.
After 100 rounds, the inside of the pistol looked spotless.

This ammo is $13 per box of 50 rounds. That's the same price
as the very dirty UMC ammo.

The bullet is not round. It's almost a semi-wadcutter. I'm very
impressed with this ammuntion. Has anyone else tried this
ammo?

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
48 Posts
was it hot? i bought some .357 mag winclean and it was hotter than regular winchester and did make a cool muzzle flash. i thought it was alright stuff.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
who me said:
was it hot? i bought some .357 mag winclean and it was hotter than regular winchester and did make a cool muzzle flash. i thought it was alright stuff.
Yes, Winclean was slightly hotter than Winchester USA ammo.

thanks

Jae

·
Registered
793 Posts
The only drawback, as I see it, is the short shelf life.
I've had some in .38 special for two years and it works fine. Please explain.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most ammunition uses lead styphnate based primers, which tend to have a reasonably decent shelf life. Winclean uses non-lead styphnate primers that tend to have a short shelf life.

I discovered this when I first used Winclean and was impressed with how clean it actually left the brass after firing and how accurate it was. I contacted Winchester about possibly gleaning some information about what type of powder/primer combination they were using in the hopes that I might attempt to duplicate it in loading my own rounds. I also mentioned that I like to carry FMJ in my spare magazines and was even contemplating substituting Winclean in lieu of my usual selections due to the truncated bullet being preferred over a round one.

The Winchester representative told me that the special primers were the primary reason for the clean burn and would not be made available to the public for reloading. Additionally, the powder was a blend that would also not be made available to the public for reloading.

He further cautioned me against using any Winclean ammunition for self-defense due to the factors I mentioned previously. He stated that Winclean was ammunition manufactured for a particular "niche"; which was use on ranges that require lead free ammunition.

I only tried Winclean because the store was out of white box Winchester, so for me, it was no big loss.

Winclean is NOT the best choice for ammunition you may have to bet your life on, but it is nice to shoot.

YMMV. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts