1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally shoot 230gr winchester fmj ammo. I bought a couple of boxes of 185 gr Winchester winclean when my local dealer didn't have any of the usual.
Anyway, i had put 200 rounds of the 230 gr fmj through the barrel. Curious to see what the winclean was like I looked at the barrel's condition then shot 8 rounds of winclean through it. After only 8 rounds the barrel had an obscene amount of jacket fouling on the rifling that wasn't there earlier.

Now I don't even want to shoot the rest of this ammo, I'm not sure it is worth the headache of cleaning it out afterward. I have never had my barrel load up that badly before.

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?
What was the cause of the problem?
Would it have fouled that badly if I ran it down a clean barrel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I ran 250 rounds of 230 grain Winclean through my 625 in one range session. The gun was nearly as clean inside & out as when I started. The brass was also very clean inside.

I don't know what would cause the fouling you got, except maybe your barrel just doesn't like some types of ammo.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Sounds like you may have a tight bore, this could be good for accuracy but a bit tough on clean up. I would rather have a good tight barrel as opposed to the alternative. The idea behind the WinClean was the lack of powder residue left over to clean up and not so much the jacket fouling.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Note that "Winclean" refers to the new no-lead primer compound (environmentally friendly), not necessarily the amount of fouling you will experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I guess I should have worded my question a little better. I know that theory behind winclean, but the thing with winclean is that it is a brass jacket rather than copper. I don't know what variety of brass or copper they use so I can't really look up their material properties since the two metals are so similar different varieties really overlap characteristics. So I was just curious if anyone else had similar experiences that might save me a lot of cleaning and testing I'll have to give it a try with a fresh barrel and see what happens. I like the idea of shooting that ammo since I shoot indoors a lot and they punch a nice clean hole in paper, so I don't want to write it off completely. I'll run a couple boxes through it on thursday and post a report. Thanks again.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have tried Winclean. I love it. Would probably use it alot more if it wasn't so expensive!!

My Kimber would look great after 100-200 rounds. And the brass would look great as well.

Same amount of shooting, less cleaning.

As Homer says: WOOHOO!!!

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like how clean the stuff leaves my gun and the brass, but I couldn't get it to feed reliably in my Kimber,,,,,when I'm plinking at the range and if I run out,,,,I usually pick up some at the range and if it fails to feed no biggie,,,I expect it too. After all I'm plinking. Now for serious shooting, I won't touch the stuff.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if finally got out and shot 150 more rounds through a clean barrel. As would be expected my pistol was spotless, as far as powder fouling goes....

But, once again the jacket fouling was horrendous. It seems a bit wierd that no one else is having this problem, it makes me really curious what the cause is. It could be any number of reasons, tight bore, soft jacket, higher velocity, barrel material.

I think I'll have to quit shooting these. Cleaning up all the brass in my barrel is much more time consuming than cleaning up powder fouling. Besides, the loads are really light. I had a few stovepipes, which is really out of the ordinary. But I do run a wilson shok buff, not the greatest thing for a light load. Kind of a shame , I like the idea of less powder fouling, no vaporized lead and they do punch nice clean holes in paper.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I tried a couple of boxes of winclean through my Wilson, Kimber and Colt, condition 1 falmunctions over and over, copper fouling was a problem in the wilson and kimber. I will never buy anmore, S&B runs well in all my guns, doesn't go click and it's cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts