1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This must have been asked before, but I cannot find it on search.

If I buy a single stage with dies, tumblers, etc. etc.

What do the costs really come out to, NOT factoring in the initial investment of reloading equipment for the rounds I shoot.........

Please be realistic, not price for the cheapest stuff you find in occassional sales. I just want a realistic reload price for powder, cases, bullets I can get every day for the regular price.....

9mm

40 cal

12ga

Thanks so much. I may have to join the reloading crowd, but what the heck, another new hobby.:rofl:

·
Super Moderator
7,788 Posts
Loaded ammo is going up just like reloading components. You are still money ahead to reload.

Although right now shotshell is a wash in 12 and 20 gauge. Couple years ago you were a little bit ahead in 12 and 20. You are still way ahead in 28 and 410.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The best way to calculate the savings would be to go to an online component seller (I use midwayusa.com for most stuff), and find the caliber, etc. you're looking to shoot and add up the costs of brass and bullets.

One caveat - don't buy powder or primers online - the shipping can be much more than the cost of the item. I buy powder and primers locally, usually at a gun shop. I just bought some 4831 and 4350 for 20.80 for a pound each, and a pound of Bullseye for 18.99. Primers usually run 2-3.00 per hundred for small pistol.

I calculate that my .38 Special wadcutter loads cost me about 3.00-3.50 per 50.

Steve

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My reloading setup was paid for with the first 1000 rounds of 45ACP that I reloaded. Then it was all savings.

Locally a box of 50 230grain Remington UMC hardball is $12 when it's on sale and if you buy a case.
My re-loads cost me under $5.00 a box of 50.
Brass is free.
Bullets $56/1000 200 gr SWC
Primers $24/1000 Winchester Large Pistol
Powder $15/1lb Bullseye (enough for 1,500 loads)
I buy at the shows, no shipping or hazmat charges for me.

Some folks got a good deal on their bullets and report as low as $3.50 per box of 50.

·
Banned
758 Posts
My local cheap .45acp averages $12-15 box, I reload using used brass for about $7.5 a box including shipping realisticly.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Hard to say unless you know how many times you reload your brass, do you lose some brass over time, or pick up more, that sort of thing. And as someone mentioned, shipping can add up, especially if you order powder or primers. I get my stuff at a quarterly gun show in my area for that reason.

But, on average, from what I've experienced and read from others, it used to be you could reload for about half price (given a range), but now with ammo prices going up so much, it's approaching about a third of store-bought. So it's getting better.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Right now I load for,
9mm
Primers $16 per 1,000
Powder $12 per pound, a little over half to load 1,000
1,000 bullets $58
Around $80 to load 1,000 9mm

Primers $16 per 1,000
Powder $12 per pound, around 3.5 pounds to load 1,000
1,000 bullets $58
Around $116 to load 1,000 223

38 spcl I haven't figured yet. It should be just a little more than the 9mm. If you load any of the pistol with lead you will save even more. Even better than the money you save is the quality of the ammo and the enjoyment you get making it. I started reloading to save money and it has becaome a great hobby for me. It is very relaxing to sit in front of the press and pull the handle.

Rusty

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I don't think we can give you an accurate cost except to say it is cheaper unless you start shooting more than what you shoot now. That is a real possibility and you might not save a dime. There are lots of variables that will decrease or increase the cost. Things such as cast lead versus FMJ or plated bullets in your pistols. Powder type and load. Purchased brass versus range pickup. I never bother to check the cost of reloading rifle and pistol anymore because it won't make any difference to me. I have my favorites and I'm hooked. :)

·
Banned
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, looks like in the long run, I'll be saving after the initial investment. I just went to a local store today and looked at a single stage press. Rock chucker.

The person said the single stage is still the most precise way to get match rifle rounds, but slow on the pistol.

Since they're both for two very divergent distances. One for accuracy and the other for sheer number of ammo to be made.

I have time though, so I don't mind.

I'm going to look for a used one. Don't see how a used single stage can really go bad or be "used up" in any way.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You will definately save money, and you may find, like me, that reloading is relaxing and theraputic. I wouldn't buy new brass, save your own or pick up other's (with permission) at the range. Cabelas has the best shipping prices on heavy items like bullets. You probably will shoot more, because you have more to shoot, and there is something satisfying about shooting ammo that you made. Ha ha...maybe it is that you credit your good target scores to excellently made ammo as well as good marksmanship!! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Prices will vary

RustyFN said:
Right now I load for,
9mm
Primers $16 per 1,000
Powder $12 per pound, a little over half to load 1,000
1,000 bullets $58
Around $80 to load 1,000 9mm

Primers $16 per 1,000
Powder $12 per pound, around 3.5 pounds to load 1,000
1,000 bullets $58
Around $116 to load 1,000 223

38 spcl I haven't figured yet. It should be just a little more than the 9mm. If you load any of the pistol with lead you will save even more. Even better than the money you save is the quality of the ammo and the enjoyment you get making it. I started reloading to save money and it has becaome a great hobby for me. It is very relaxing to sit in front of the press and pull the handle.

Rusty

Here in the St. Louis, MO. area prices are a little higher.
5K of Winchester pistol primers are around $110. So about 0.022$ per round. And 4lb of Clays/Titegroup is around $60. So at 5gr per load that's about 0.01$ per round. Combined that's 0.03$ plus your own brass and add the bullet. I use lead at 0.06$ and plated at 0.09$. Jacketed bullets can raise the price ALOT.
The 308 will take alot more powder but you'll save ALOT more money reloading them also.
So every time a pull the trigger for my 380, 38spl, 357, and 45acp it's about $0.09 for lead and $0.12 for plated.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
45 ACP
Stoner 200 LSWC $62/1000
Primers: Win LP $27/1000
Vihtavuori N310 $26/lb

Approximate cost is $105/1000 loaded to 170 power factor.

About the same for FMJ 9mm.

AE ball from local distributor is $335/1000

·
Registered
270 Posts
My cast bullet loads can be under $2/box

I bought all my equipment many years ago, so it's all amortized out, so my calculations are a little different from yours. My wife is also tollerant of me spending a lot of time doing my thing.

Look at the types of components you want to shoot, the time and money you are willing to invest, and plug the values in:

http://handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

CDD

·
Registered
219 Posts
stevekozak said:
You will definately save money, and you may find, like me, that reloading is relaxing and theraputic.
I really do enjoy reloading and I especially love to see all that ammo acumalating in my storage closet.

I reload everything I shoot except 9mm and 7..62x39 and I'm starting to save my 9mm brass for future reloading. Depending on the caliber you can save enough to pay for a Dillon 550 with 2000-3000 rounds.

·
Registered
318 Posts
12- 13 cents in .45. The only price change that is really killing me is the bullet. The source I used for polymer bullets went out of business. The last time I bought bullets they were 6.5 cents per. I just paid 10.5 cents per for jackets and I am going to have to pay 8.5 cents per for polymer coated bullets from another source.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
Like Tom said, if factory loaded ammo is going up, so are reloading components, so you're still going to be better off reloading. I don't load lead, so I "cheat" myself a little, but I still load all calibers that I shoot significantly cheaper than buying anybody's factory ammo.

I live in a small town, far away from any shops that carry reloading supplies, so I order all my reloading supplies online, including powder and primers. I try to buy at least 5000 primers with an order of powder and at least 16# of powder in one order, spreading the HazMat cost around a little.

Best deal I've found lately on quality plated bullets is Xtreme, which used to be West Coast. Compared their prices with Cabela's, and, even with Cabela's "special" $4.95 flat shipping rate for $100+ orders, I still come out better with Xtreme. I buy my powder and primers from Powder Valley. Used to do a lot of business with Midway, but don't deal with them much anymore. Midway ships their powder and primers from different locations, causing their poor customers to pay two HazMats when ordering primers and powder.

Edited: Per another thread, (Thanks Kevin!) I just ordered a bunch of Rainier bullets from Cabela's. With the discount and free shipping, I don't know of a better deal for plated bullets. All of my reloading is done for plinking at the range, so I never load for high velocity. (making the Rainiers' thin plating acceptable)

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you're going to reload pistol ammunition on a single-stage press....I have a hard time imaging you'll be able to shoot enough to make the hassle worth the savings.

Bear in mind, there's the expense of the press, yes, but everything else -- tumbler, media sifter, scale, calipers, dies, etc., etc., etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts