1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get your wife to be more comfortable around guns?
My wife is tolerant, shoots with me occasionally, can handle a handgun safely, but is just nervous around them at other times.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Might as well try raising unicorns.

After 18 years together, mine is still as rabidly anti-gun as she was on day one. "Tolerate" is the word. I'm jealous that your wife will even touch one. As with many things, there's no substitute for experience. The more she's around them and (hopefully) becomes comfortable with them, the more "tolerant" she will become.....I think. .22s are loads of fun and inherently less "intimidating" from a noise/recoil/shootability standpoint. Get her a Buckmark with pink grips and a brick of shells...OR...let her pick out what she wants (assuming she wants her own). Allow her to drive the outcome with the understanding that it's part of who you are and what you enjoy. If you can't get her to come around, take solace in that you're a sight further along than I will EVER be. Happy shooting....

·
Registered
544 Posts
People have the right to not like things. How would you feel if your wife made it her mission in life to get you to like crochet?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I think the wife eventually gets envious of the fun I have at the range and wants to join. She has her own guns, though rarely shoots them. That's just fine. They are hers and she's entitled to do so as she pleases with them.

Last time at the range she didn't do too well, so she ok'd getting a 22lr to practice with. She'll be getting a Shield as well, as well as that PPK she's wanted forever. I guess she's waiting for the right time on that last one (she's a bit thrifty).

Unlike most she's gotten worse at shooting the more she does it. She needs to get back to basics.

Everyone has their own feelings on the subject. I'm a little gun crazy right now, but hopefully this phase will pass. We can't afford for both of us to be that way, so I don't mind her relative lack of interest.

·
Administrator
73,088 Posts
People have the right to not like things. How would you feel if your wife made it her mission in life to get you to like crochet?
My wife has been trying to pressure me into becoming a vegan for years. As a bonafide, card-carrying red meat lover I don't see that happening anytime soon. She also hates my guns, but knows she can't do anything about it. Unfortunately nobody in my family tree likes guns so I always go to the range alone.

·
Registered
12,387 Posts
A certain amount of wariness, concern, discomfort and other similar emotions is not altogether bad with respect to firearms. I carry regularly (C1, of course), but I'm always very cognizant, at several levels (legal, religious beliefs, good citizenship, etc.) about what that firearm in my holster can potentially do to a person, whether via intent or accident. It is not an altogether "comfortable" thing to think about ... and it probably shouldn't get too comfortable.

Just last week, I was slightly aghast at the way one of my neighbors "showed" me his carry gun (which was simply stuck in his pants ... no holster). As he motioned the gun around in many directions, he explained that it was safe because there was no round in the chamber. Well, that was probably true, but I nonetheless felt a lot more comfortable when he "re-holstered" (if you can call it that) his pistol.

Sounds like your wife is not at the same place as you on the "comfort with firearms" spectrum, but if she goes shooting with you, she can't be too far wrong, or so I would hope. See if you can find ways of narrowing that gap between her perceptions and yours, and give it some time. Peoples' attitudes towards, and reactions to, firearms are generally formed over a long period of time, and unless someone has a drastic experience, these attitudes and reactions don't change very fast, if at all.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
As in most things, "Balance" is a good thing in a marriage.

In our home, I'm the firearms enthusiast. She can barely shoot, but is far from a victim especially if she grabs the 20ga deuce.

Her 85 year old mother on the other hand is a pistolero I never want ticked at me.

My Niece is a sharp shooter on a large SO SWAT Team and two grand nieces are avid shooters and hunters.

Basically my wife is my balance in life.

And while she's not the best with a firearm, in a medical emergency, especially one cardio related, she'll have your back.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Fortunately, my wife has no problems with guns. Not only that, they interest her to the point that she wanted to shoot them. She's recently retired and has been comparing guns that might work for her. I go with her when she shops but refuse to "choose" them for her, to avoid letting my bias's to influence her choice. I want her to choose something that works for her. After trying 18 different guns, the HK VP-9 is on top. She's not done though, wanting to try others so as not to end up with a bad choice.

The rest of her family is rabidly anti-gun, to the point that choosing to own one will cause ostracization. They are weird with me already, some of them even thinking that my guns are trying to tell me to do evil things. Get togethers are difficult with me usually just staying quiet. One brother-law told me to lie when asked what I'm doing if it involves gun. The other said he's so against violence that he wouldn't even try to stop criminals attacking his family since they were once someone's little baby and he couldn't bring himself to hurt babies. This is so bizarre that I just stay quiet and smile a lot.

I included this to show how surprised I was that she wanted to shoot. I'm one lucky guy.

Rick

·
Registered
772 Posts
Firearms were not part of our lifestyle until a few years ago, and neither my family nor my wife's family had any history with guns. What brought us both around was a home invasion in the next town resulting in one murder and one attempted murder. When I told my wife I was going to get a gun and learn how to use it, she said, "I want to learn, too." And she did, attending courses at Sig Academy and through regular trips to the range. While not as into it as I am, she handles the gun well and would defend herself if it came to that. This was way outside her comfort zone, but she stuck with it and enjoys trips to the range.

Tie to tree and shoot lots of rounds nearby...
This would work with an adult female (human), but only up until the point where you untied her! :eek:

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
How do you get your wife to be more comfortable around guns?
My wife is tolerant, shoots with me occasionally, can handle a handgun safely, but is just nervous around them at other times.

It helps to load 'er up with liquor first.

:dope: :biglaugh: Just kiddin'!!! ;)

·
Banned
3,089 Posts
My wife used to teach concealec carry classes before we met. I married into my first reloading press. I don't think I need to make her more comfortable around guns.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Mine was not raised with them and "tolerates them" but hates that I buy stuff for them. She has been shooting a couple of times, but is not a fan. Fortunately my daughter (12) is a shooter, so I have someone to shoot with.

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
Decide that you are okay with her being uncomfortable. Not every problem should (or can) be fixed.

But if you really gotta try, perhaps this would help.

Buy one of those Laserlyte systems. Set it up by the TV & have her & you take turns shooting at it during commercials. Compete & wager for household chores if that helps keep it interesting.

Because right now, as it is, every time she shoots there's loud kabooms & the possibility of accidents.

The laser target removes those disconcerting issues. Eventually she may actually ask you to go Live Fire at the range, once the fear is gone.

But if not, Don't sweat it. She's still safer now than if she married an Anti.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
In my case, my wife managed large livestock operations since she was a kid and had to be familiar with firearms (while at the remote areas of the properties, she had to carry a sidearm and a rifle if she was on a horse or ATV). She's the one, more often than not, asking me when we going shooting next?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My wife carries and has her own gun collection. My biggest problem is she occasionally takes ownership of guns I buy for myself.

She is an enabler. When she sees a gun-grabber on television, she tells me we need more guns and ammo.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I got my wife to go to conceal carry class with me. She's well educated and is always interested in learning new things. I think she enjoyed it and really liked learning the safety and legal aspects, which made her a bit more comfortable with them. She read the whole manual front to back and was one of the few in the class that aced the written text. She goes out and shoots with me sometimes, but she doesn't like high caliber guns with lots of recoil.

The local gun shop has a ladies night and I've been trying to get her to try that out. I'm sure she'd like getting some instruction from someone besides me.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Don't have that problem. My wife shoots action pistol every two weeks, helps with ladies introduction to pistol classes, and is helping several instructors with their CCL classes. Her goal is to become an NRA certified instructor.

She's game to go shooting anytime I want to go and will shoot pistols, rifles, or shotguns.

I would suggest finding out if there is a shooting range or club that offers a ladies introduction to pistols (or guns) class and then find out if your wife would be interested in taking that class.

It may make her feel more at ease with guns if she is in a class with other women who are at the same level.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts