1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I carry a compact (i.e. "Officer's Model frame) size pistol. I like Wilson magazines but dislike the way they protrude from the well. Even with NO pad they still hang way out there, nowhere near flush. I'm thinking about throwing away those funky pads and "super glue-ing" the spring retention plate into place. Anybody got anything better? Are those Wilson "super thin" base pads really all that thin? Thanks and stay safe.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by nwgunman:
I carry a compact (i.e. "Officer's Model frame) size pistol. I like Wilson magazines but dislike the way they protrude from the well. Even with NO pad they still hang way out there, nowhere near flush. I'm thinking about throwing away those funky pads and "super glue-ing" the spring retention plate into place. Anybody got anything better? Are those Wilson "super thin" base pads really all that thin? Thanks and stay safe.
Yes, I use the Super Thin base on my primary carry mag, and my back-up's have the larger base for extra seating force.

The nice part is the Thin one's are steel, so no worries about the part breaking on the rail lips, like the nylon ones. They basic add about a 1/16 of an inch, and end up just slight protruded compared to a standard Colt mag, but easily managable, and concealable.

You can JB Weld, or Super Glue the retainer, but it will look hideous.

If you're looking for something completely flush, use a Colt mag, and then back it up with your Wilson's, either Compact, or Full Size ones... Who cares is they extend, and you can get the grip enhancer's that keep you from over inserting them, so you don't lose a round.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Never heard anyone mention the Metalform products before. Did a search and found their website. The mags look well made from the pictures, but of course they are only pictures. Anyone else use the metalform mags?

The website would be nice huh? Metalform

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 09-04-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Metalform makes a good magazine and is very reasonably priced. Alex Hamilton did a review of various brands of magazines and their followers and listed Metalform as one of the better choices. I use them in my Kimber Ultra Elite and they work great.

Under no circumstance would I try supergluing parts of a mag together in place. The magazine is a critical part of the functioning of your gun. Jury-rigging parts really is not a good idea.

Wilson's superthin pads are thin, but still won't fit flush with the base of your gun. Personally, I like them that way. They are almost flush meaning that they don't pose any real issues of sticking out and printing too much, but since they are not flush, slamming in a new mag completes nicely with the click of the mag catch. All too often, people don't get flush mags completely seated, especially during intense drills and I assume that similar mistake would occur in real life as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts