1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your Wolf ammo may be unsafe. While shooting my HS2000 yesterday I experienced my first malfunctions in 600 rds. I had 2 light primer strikes which fired the second time I tried. In retrospect I should never have tried to fire them after they failed the first time. On the 3rd failure the slide was obviously out of battery. I tried to chamber the round again and still it wouldn’t go into battery. So I set the cartridge aside for later examination. I went ahead and shot the rest of the box and packed up and headed home. This morning I took out the bad round and examined it. The case length is 0.770”!!! No wonder the slide wouldn’t go into battery! Now I believe the other 2 failures were also long cases which could have resulted in a ruptured case on firing. I am going to mic every round left in that case, which will be 900. But I wouldn’t feel safe using them otherwise.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Just curious, are you sure you had light strikes or did you have hard primers? The difference has to do with the problem being with your gun or the problem with your ammo.

I compared some reload ammo a friend was shooting that had "light strikes." I compared fired versus unfired cases. The strikes weren't light, so the problem was not with the gun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I believe they were light strikes caused by the cases being over length and the slide being slightly out of battery.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I've had no problem with Wolf ammo, but I'll bear it in mind. However, I can tell you that there are literally hundreds of thousands of Wolf casings of all calibers at just one of many cinder pits folks up here shoot at and they all testify to their being fired.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Kevan:
However, I can tell you that there are literally hundreds of thousands of Wolf casings of all calibers at just one of many cinder pits folks up here shoot at and they all testify to their being fired.
Yeah, but I will bet the majority of them ar 7.62x39mm, and you KNOW those damn AK's will shoot anything even remotely near the chamber

In my 9mm's, I love the stuff... It cheap, and the 9mm's have, shall we say, "Combat Chambers", nice and large, very forgiving. I am suprised you had trouble with a High Standard.

I have shoot some Wolf from the 45's as well, but prefer to keep it to a minimum until I put a Wilson Bulletproof extractor in it, the steel cases are just too hard for long term use on the extractor's I have installed right now.

It's probably worthwile to check all your "Cheap" or inexpensive ammo. The quality is going to be somewhat lower, I mean seriously, you do get what you pay for.

Be Safe!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the cartridge in question. Wolf has asked me to send it to them for examination.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
538 Posts
Saw this problem with CCI Blazer some years ago. Also with S&W .40 cal the first year. Not too unusual. GLV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts