1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was on vacation in LA I decided to buy 2 boxes of Wolf 45 ACP 230 gr. (at 9.50 a box)

My dad used his milspec 45 and I used my 91A1 CDR model. We experienced no malfunctions, all rounds fed and ejected with no problems. I use Wilson 7rd mags and my dad used surplus mags.

I also found the ammo to be accurate. At 7 to 12 yds, all were making tight groups .
I shot quite a few mag fulls in rapid fire too, and feeding was excellent.

Of course, my test was not very scientific, nor to any set standards, all I wanted to ensure was that they fed reliable.

I wanted to shoot a couple of boxes first before ordering a case. Seems to me this ammo will be ideal for range shooting, as I can get the ammo delivered for 73.00 a case (including freight). That's 7.30 a box which is not much more than reloading your own 230gr FMJ ammo. I'm sold on this ammo. I really liked it.

I noticed some red sealant on my breech face which came off very easily with a brush and Hoppe's BreakFree CLP. This was from the sealant on the primers. Heck even the bullets are sealed.

Take care,
David

·
Registered
387 Posts
I fired 250 rounds of Wolf .45 today in a Glock 21 with no problems. Accurate, reliable, and CHEAP.
So far I've fired 500 rounds of Wolf in .40, with excellent results. www.ammoman.com

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I have not had any problems with Wolf .45 ammo. I have a friend that has shot a lot of it through his Thompsons and 1911s, again with no problems. He has even reloaded the stuff.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have shot over 1000 rounds in my open .45 furnished in a shooting school. It ran perfectly there. I have shot about 500 more rounds after the school and it ran perfectly in my open .45 and USGI .45. It is said to be hard on extractors but the school instructor liked it. I have bad eyes so I like picking up brass better then the low contrast painted steel cases. S&B 230 FMJ and Black Hills lead 200gr. LSWC reloads are relatively low cost and run fine for me.

Dean

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
To pick up the Wolf cases after shooting, I have one of those shop magnets that allows the magnet to pull away from the case. Pull the handle and the cases fall off in the trash can.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great idea about the magnet. Has anyone ever had problems with ranges saying they don't allow this ammo? I called a place nearby and they said they don't allow Russian ammo because it's steel cored. I explained that it was not, only the case was steel. Think when I shoot, I'll not bother to mention what I'm shooting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Originally posted by dsonyay:
That's a great idea about the magnet. Has anyone ever had problems with ranges saying they don't allow this ammo? I called a place nearby and they said they don't allow Russian ammo because it's steel cored. I explained that it was not, only the case was steel. Think when I shoot, I'll not bother to mention what I'm shooting.
The range I go to doesn't allow Russian ammo or hollowpoint/softpoint ammo...its an indoor range. They also don't allow Blazer ammo I think because they can't remanufacture it but a lot of people still use it, just gotta make sure they don't see you using it I guess.
Kind of sad I guess since I bought all this hollowpoint ammo because it was cheap so I just on occasion would use some of it.

Their reasons for not allowing Wolf ammo I think was something about the primer messing up the machine since they remanufacture ammo. I could be wrong about the reasons, I don't know anything about reloading yet and what goes on in making a bullet, just got the NRA book the other day and haven't had a chance to read it...but I guess next time I head down there I can ask again.

So wolf ammo isn't all that bad? I got a Glock 21 and I wouldn't mind buying cheap range ammo if it won't mess it up or anything...heard bad things about Wolf ammo.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So far, I have fired 550 rounds of Wolf .45 through my Glock 21, and another 250 through a Springfield 1911A1 Loaded with absolutely no problems. No noticable wear or damage to any parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The indoor range I went to yesterday does not allow Wolf. They said they had a 11/2 hour hang fire at one of thier other ranges, and some case separation. Bummer because I bought 500 rds of wolf and wanted to test it myself. I guess they won't get my buisness until I run out of wolf.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh yeah, I did shoot the box of Sellier& Bellot I had. It also had the red sealer. I took me a little while to figure out what the red stuff was while cleaning my mags. Cleaned out with no problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh yeah, I did shoot the box of Sellier& Bellot I had. It also had the red sealer. I took me a little while to figure out what the red stuff was while cleaning my mags. Cleaned out with no problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have shot 1000+ rounds of Wolf in my Springfield Armory 1911 A1 Loaded. The only problem I found was I needed to change my recoil spring from 16lb. to 18.5lb. The first 300 rounds battered my shok buff. This is probably due to the fact that this ammo is a tad hotter to function in full auto weapons. I have found it very accurate and have no problems with shooting it at a USPSA or IDPA match.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have now fired well over a thousand rounds of Wolf ammo, with no problems other than it being a bit nasty due to the sealant chips getting into the works. No worries, as the gun has to be cleaned anyway.

I'll be using Wolf in the upcoming Rangemaster course, so that will be a good proving ground.

FWIW, I spoke to a Wolf representative yesterday, and he assured me that their ammo will not harm your weapon, and causes no more wear on the extractor than is caused by brass cased ammo.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What's the smell like at an indoor range? My brother shot 100 rounds yesterday out side and we both noticed the smell.

The wolf also seemed to be a little hotter than the Winchester white box stuff.

Anyway it shot well. He did have 2 FTFs but that could be attributed to his Kimber mag.

[This message has been edited by hoosierdaddy (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
387 Posts
Never said less, just no more than brass. The steel case slides under the extractor and into the chamber just as easily as brass, and it makes sense when examing a pistol while cycling ammo. Steel is obviously harder than brass, but I don't think that there's enough difference to matter.

David Fortier, of SOF, who's fired more Wolf ammo than probably anyone, has had zero problems with his Glock 17 and 23, as well as several other test weapons. He highly recommends Wolf, FWIW.

Testing continues...

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have shot 500 rounds of Wolf myself. I have found it to be very accurate, very dirty, and strange smelling. Only problem I had with it is that it FTF numerous times in the pistol I was using. I think it was the hard primer story.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You (conveniently) neglect to mention extraction. Case expansion/contraction during firing differs greatly from brass to steel. Those differences can affect more than just the wear under discussion.

"No noticable wear or damage to any parts." you say. May I inquire as to your inspection criteria? Steel will certainly cause more wear than brass given the same circumstances.

Interesting the source quoted sells the ammunition in question. I'll believe that, too (grin). The better question would be to contact the manufacturer of the firearm you are using it in. Please post their response here when you recieve it.

Why don't U.S. ammunition manufacturers produce steel cased ammunition? Surely they would be more price competitive with the imported steel cased ammunition that robs them of a good percentage of their market share. assuredly, there is a reason beyond simple liability that has them reluctant to do so.

Which firearm manufacturers recommend the use of steel cased ammunition? Again, there are valid reasons beyond liability that has them reluctant to do so.

My suggestion? Anyone considering the use of steel cased ammunition in their handgun should thoroughly research the topic and the potential effects of steel cased ammunition on all aspects of handgun operation. In many cases it will void the manufacturers warranty, if that is a concern.

·
Registered
387 Posts
As I said, TESTING CONTINUES...

The only way to see if any APPRECIABLE OR NOTICEABLE WEAR occurs is to TEST it out.

I have talked to several people who have fired over 10,000 rounds of Wolf ammo in various calibers, through various weapons, and they have yet to visually notice any appreciable wear, or have any parts breakage.

Wolf ain't Winchester, never said it was, but don't say it's dangerous or worthless until you thoroughly test it out.

For the price of Wolf, it is worth trying out, IMHO

·
Registered
403 Posts
The BEST way to determine if you should use or not use steel-cased ammunition in a firearm not designed for it is to research the topic thoroughly beforehand. Making a decision based upon the previous experience or empirical data of others tends to be the less expensive route.

Visual inspection is a poor method of determining "appreciable or noticeable wear" when it comes to breech faces, chambers or extractors.

With allowance for a range only gun, perhaps, but the use of steel-cased ammunition in a defensive carry piece not designed for it likely has it's portend. Actual mileage may vary.

"Dangerous or worthless"? Never said that. Like Ted Nugent said (regarding illicit drug use); "I don't have to walk out in front of a semi truck to know it's going to kill me." I prefer to defer to the side of metallurgical science, firearm manufacturers recommendations and competent gunsmiths when it comes to ammunition cases in firearms I may have to bet my life on. Test away.

It's not the cost of the ammunition I worry about.

In any case, I purchase Sellier & Bellot 45 ACP for less than $9.00 a box when I am not loading my own (if cost is such a prevalent issue for some). The brass is wonderful for reloading, the ammunition is low flash, accurate, and there is zero concern for induced failure as a result of premature wear.

It's simply a concern that I'd rather not have to deal with with.

[This message has been edited by Jager (edited 10-14-2001).]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts