1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a hundred rounds of Wolf ammo in a new Kimber 1911 the other day. I had 3 shell casings get caught in the ejection port but other than that, they shot well. The problem I noticed was when I got home and went to clean the gun - it was absolutely filthy. It looked like I'd run 5000 rounds through the gun. I had to field strip the gun to get to all the dirt. BTW, the gun was clean when I started - I always field strip, clean and oil a new gun before it's first trip to the range.

Is this normal for Wolf ammo? If so, it ain't quite the bargain I thought it was.

·
Premium Member
20,297 Posts
Wait until you fire another couple hundred through and have to use laquer thinner to clean your pistol! I'd pass on that crap if it was free.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Wolf

I used to buy that "CRAP", but I'll not buy any more. It only takes a few cents more to go first class. Well, maybe a dollar more. :rock:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used wolf in my kimber and springfield with less problems than other brands, but I agree cleaning as an issue. I use break free's "powder blast", it cuts the cleaning time well in half, plus it doesnt stink like some of the other brands. However, I have to agree with others that say will say just drop the extra dollar or two on some better ammo. :cool:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I sometimes use it at matches where I can't pick up the brass. No use leaving good brass.

I don't have any problems with it running in my guns. I have used the 7.62x39, .223, and 45 ACP. It is very dirty and smells awfull, but is accurate enough. I wouldn't use it if I had to shoot hundreds of rounds before cleaning though. Well, in my AK or SKS it would be OK.

The 230 ball 45 stuff is 190 PF so it really takes the poppers down, even with a low or marginal hit.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Wolf makes VERY DIRTY ammo.

Cases are lacquered steel, and IMNSHO should be reserved for rifles of the Kalashnikov persuasion, or Soviet handguns like the Tokarev line, which are engineered for steel-cased ammo.

Most Western European and American pistols and rifles seem to be designed around brass-cased ammo (or the Blazer aluminum cased stuff is soft enough, too), and will have broken extractors after much use of the Wolf or Barnaul steel-cased stuff.
I use it only in my Kalashnikov VEPR.

Best.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Wolf is OK

I've used "Wolf" ammo and had very few problems using it. I found that as long as one doesn't "machine gun" your 45 to the point that the chamber gets hot they won't hang-up. The steel casings are very soft so wear on your extractor should not be excessive. Besides they're ammo is very accurate compared to others I've shot. Every ammo has good and bad sides.

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
40 Posts
I shot a six stage IDPA match last weekend with Wolf ammo
my SA milspec loves it and clean up wasnt too bad.
I think it shot as good as white box...

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a custom 1911 with a fitted Wilson barrel. The last wolf I tried would lock the gun up tight, just out of battery. PITA to get shooting again. If your pistol has a tight chamber, then I would try it before I ordered a bunch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To echo many others thoughts, Wolf is to be avoided. The steel cases are laquered to prevent rust. This laquer melts and runs all through the chamber. This makes the extractor work all the harder against a very tough steel case. When push comes to shove or pull in this scene, the extractor will lose- shearing its claw. So Wolf bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've shot wolf 9mm by the trunkload and never had any of the problems reported here. But in .45 cal it jams the heck out of my 1911A1. I would never try to shoot wolf in a firearm that had a match or tight chamber because of the lacquer and mess. I think this is why alot of the Russian ammo makers are switching to copper or nickel plating the cases.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My kimbers and glocks eat it like candy. I clean after every 250 rounds. If any of you have some your going to throw out, just throw it this way.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
AZ Husker said:
Wait until you fire another couple hundred through and have to use laquer thinner to clean your pistol! I'd pass on that crap if it was free.
Laugh. Beyond certain communist bloc firearms designed to use that type of ammunition (AK, SKS, Makarov, etc.) I totally agree.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Some of the recent Wolf to come in to the shop was nickel-plated rather than lacquer coated.

Not that I've ever had any problems with the lacquer in any of the guns I shoot, even to a point where I burned myself slightly from the heat on the barrel.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
rfurtkamp said:
Some of the recent Wolf to come in to the shop was nickel-plated rather than lacquer coated.
??? are you sure that isn't the newer Silver Bear stuff???

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
In about 4K 9mm and 2K+ .223 I have never had a problem with this stuff. I don't doubt the broken extractor reports coming from some sources that see hundreds of thousands of rounds fired annually, but I think the whole thing has gotten blown out of proportion. It's not that the cases are steel it's the laquer being too thick once in a while (I believe). Case extracts hard and instead of the extractor pulling a chunk out of the case, the extractor breaks. The US loaded steel cased .45's in WWII, as a matter of fact I've reloaded them. But they weren't laquered.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sheldonj said:
??? are you sure that isn't the newer Silver Bear stuff???
I opened the case of Wolf myself and the boxes therein.

I'm sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts