1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wolfe XP Springs and my Pro CDP - Throw Pattern

I took the advice offered many times on this forum and installed a Wolf "Improved XP" Recoil Spring on my Pro CDP. I can certainly feel the difference in shooting. Seems stiffer and more of a postive load.

I had no problems at the range this morning. Didn't really have problems before, but it was time to replace the spring (800 rounds).

Anyway, I noticed that the throw pattern of the ejected casings had changed. One was even thrown forward! One landed in my eye. Most landed just backward of perpendicular.

So, is this to be expected? Is this a function of my grip? Forward seems to be odd to me. I had a consistant pattern with the stock spring.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Since you changed to a stiffer spring than stock, it will change the velocity of the slide during recoil – which will change where the cases are ejecting. Forward sounds a bit odd, like the case hit part of the slide first and ricocheted forward.

The one that hit you in the eye sounds like it could of have been your grip. Especially as it happened only once, your grip might have broken for that shot.

You might try to replace the XP spring with a new stock spring. Every gun is different and yours might prefer the stock spring over the XP.

Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pro Carry II w/Wolf spring

Interestingly enough my Pro Carry II with factory spring tossed empty brass almost vertical...they landed almost directly in front of my shooting position....I installed Wolf spring designed for 4" Kimber and gun worked fine and tossed empties 4-5 feet to the right everytime....gun is a tack driver!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts