1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I could call, but I'm lazy today. :D

According to Wolff, it appears they ship an extra power firing pin spring with recoil springs. If that's correct, for those who have ordered the XP recoil for the Pro's, did it come with an extra power FP spring as well?

Mines at 600-800 rounds and Kimber even told me when they evaluated mine, I should replace thew recoil spring now, but what about other springs?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I bought and installed the Wolff XP (p/n 32725) spring on my brand new Kimber Compact Stainless II that was giving me FTRB 80% of the time.
It does come with the extra FP pin.
When comparing the Wolf recoil spring with the stock spring, the Wolff one is about 1 1/2 inches longer.
The gun is 100% reliable after this change with either ball ammo or my own reloads.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks.

Just ordered it and a 3 pk of +5% mag. springs to try in some of my Shooting Stars. So far they work fine, as do the Kimber and another McCormick, but some like 7 rd's to run the best.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I'm religious about changing at 800 rounds. I do replace the FP spring since they send it along and I've already got the top off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I talked to someone at wolff gun springs and he told me the spring they desinged for the pro carry can go about 1500 rounds before needing changing. I have about 100 on mine so far.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I bought the Wolff XP spring to replace the crappy factory spring for my CDP Pro which went bad at around 500 rounds. The stock spring would not even lock into battery after the slide cycled.

A Wolff XP spring solved all my problems!!! :rock:

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
I've ordered the Wolff XP recoil springs for my PRO and 16 pounders for my full size Kimber. They each came with a firing pin spring.

When I asked the Wolff rep why include a firing pin spring, he told me that it should be changed every time the recoil spring is changed.

What I find interesting is that the manufacturers like Kimber and others say the firing pin spring should be changed every 5000 rounds. Maybe including a firing pin spring with their recoil springs is for customer good will, IMHO certainly doesn't hurt.

The XP works great in my PRO and the Wolff rep told me that it would be good for up to 2000 rounds instead of what Kimber recommends for their spring changes at 800 rounds.

We'll see.

·
Registered
546 Posts
just curious... is the perceived recoil any different when you install the XP springs on a Pro? I ask because my Raptor pro has a pretty stout recoil and the factory spring seems a little weak. I've had no problems with reliability, but thought it COULD help. It may be splittin' hairs, but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Big Red:

I replaced the factory spring from Kimber in my SIS with a Wolff XP. I would say it recoils just slightly harder but after a few houndred rounds i couldn't tell a difference. You can deffinatly tell a difference though when you rack the slide and release it with the slide stop. There is definitely more pressure. I would say go with it in your Raptor.

·
Registered
546 Posts
thanks, appreciate the response... I was thinking a stiffer spring may help to mitigage or lessen the recoil a bit. My Para had a STIFF spring in it and seemed to shoot softer.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I put the wolff xtra pwr recoil spring in my pro carry about 1200 rds ago. It's still stiffer than it was with the brand new factory spring. But, I shoot mostly my own reloads which are not near as hot as factory 230 ball ammo.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
guess I'll go ahead and order... they're relatively inexpensive. does everyone recommend straight from Wolf?
Yep. They may not have a cutting edge, latest tech web presence, but it works and they ship quick.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep. They may not have a cutting edge, latest tech web presence, but it works and they ship quick.
+1. I recently ordered 2 new recoil springs from Wolfe's web site for my Kimber Covert pre-series 1 45, with which I recently experienced some feeding issues. The service was prompt and the pistol once again funtions perfectly.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't remember which thread it was that it came up, but I had also mentioned how much harder it was to rack the slide with the Wolff XP spring.

Someone else mentioned that theirs loosened up after shotting it a little. Well I finally got to the range today and ran 100 rounds though it. It shot great, and I just realized, I can rack it easier with the serrations vs palm on the slide or pushing it. It really did loosen up but still has they consistent resistance throughout the cycle unlike with the stock spring.

It's a must I think! :D

·
Registered
500 Posts
My Improved XP springs all came with firing pin springs as well. Yes, I agree. This recoil spring change should be a mandatory replacement. Or we could put 1000-2000 rounds through it in hopes that it will loosen up and allow the slide to return to battery:biglaugh:.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ordered a few XP wolf springs today from brownells for $8.00

I noticed some FTRB's in my new compact, especially when my support hand thumb touches the slide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts