1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally came home with my new Custom Eclipse II today. My initial response after handling it for a couple of minutes is: Wow, the finish is so cool looking!

The fit is very good (not too tight, not too loose), and there is no play at all. The trigger is a nice 4lbs. and is very crisp. Barrell is one-piece steel and has nice rifling. The front 30-lpi checkering is nicely done and it really does magic on my grip.

After some cleaning, (it looked like a box of ammo was fired throught it, that's how dirty it was!), I did some feeding tests with the McCormick Shooting Star 8rders I bought cheap (yes I know Wilson mags are superior) and it fed pretty well although its not really a test until I fire it at the range.

I wasn't impressed with the rear sight, it is too bulky for me and it gets in the way when I rack the slide (Ouch!). The slide stop, grip safety, thumb safeties have a very dull matte finish that gets scratched and worn out very easily.

Overall, I am pleased with it and I give Kimber a thumbs up for the "Custom Shop" features included in the Custom Eclipse II. The way they made up the finish, and the overall fit, trigger and action of this sub-$1000 pistol makes it stick-out from others.

A range report will follow...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Very nice. . . I have been checking them out one on several gun shows but the thing is that I do not think they build one that comes with night sights. Please correct me if I am wrong.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
WilDJ,

I have a Custom Eclipse II waiting for me at the gun store (Kali - have to wait 30 days between purchases!
) and it is equipped with night sights.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 07-27-2001).]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Alright! Thanks Fred. All I have to do is look for one then. As I stated, all what I have seen so far whether the Pro or Custom models only came with the rear adjustable sights.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got my Eclipse last week and just got to shoot it yesterday.The gun shoots fine no FTF in 150 rounds of reloads and Federal 230 gr. hydrashok. One major problem though the front night sight has gone out.One of the reasons for getting this gun was the adjustable night sights.I've contacted Kimber and was told to send it back for repair.I guess it wasn't their fault for the sight but it still bums me out that a brand new sight would just fail like it has.Keep an eye out for your gun ,I have since read that this sight is a problem on this model gun. ShooterJD

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks ShooterJD,

I've been reading the same stuff on a few of the boards. I just keep hoping that I'll get lucky with mine. Sure don't want to have to send an almost $1K gun back for repair right away, at my expense no less!

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got a chance to shoot my baby and I don't want to make this too long since there isn't too much to complain about.

100 rds. of S&B ammo fired, no FTF's, smooth consistent action, nicest grip I ever had in a pistol and after having sighted it in = got about 6 magazine full of ammo (do the math) all in the 10 ring from 12 yds, standing freestyle. Let's just say this person is a happy camper and the rest is history...

OH yeah and BTW, the Chip McCormick $12 8rders I used were great.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You're making me jealous, Glock Racer. Chomping at the bit until I get mine. Glad to hear your's is working well for you.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Administrator
74,378 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts