1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a current production stainless Colt 1991 that I purchased with the intention of customizing myself. I acquired it used from a fellow forum member,thanks Mikey D.The pistol, as I received it was very nice and in fact I almost changed my mind for using it for my project.But I succumbed to the tinker urge and commenced to grinding and filing.

At this point it is unfinished. I intend on changing the sights but I have'nt decided if I want to tackle that myself,or send the slide to Chuck Rogers, probably the latter :).Here is a list of mods I have done so far.

Wilson grip safety,with the tail shortened slightly
Brown thumb safety
Wilson 30lpi m/s housing,shortened and blended to match the frame dimensions
STI short trigger
Wilson oversize barrel bushing
Hogue ebony grips with hex head screws
flare the rear of the ejection port
polish breech face
tune and polish the Colt non-MIM extractor and blend with the rear of the frame
bevel the magwell
recut and polish the barrel ramp
polish the frame ramp
light bevel of all sharp edges
NM plunger lever
trigger pull set at 3.75 lbs
re-blasted the rounds of frame,slide and magwell, also the non flat areas on the thumb safety and slide stop
The hammer came out of my parts box,I think it is a Nowlin part, but I'm not sure. Judging by how hard it was to bevel, it should last a long time.

A few more pics here
All feedback and or suggestions welcomed,Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,666 Posts
Very nice. Thanks for sharing with us.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
That's nice. I like that.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
"Very nice! Once again, a forum member that blends grip safeties better than the manufacturers"

Bit of an understatement!

I've seen guns from customizers of note with grip safeties that were blended less perfectly.

Very nice all around Bodeen.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
The work is beautiful.

The pics are excellent as well, and I've added them to my wallpaper collection.

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Looks great!

I especially appreciate the well dehorned hammer, an oft missed touch! Super grip safety job too.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks alot guys, appreciate the feedback.

Dubb... I think I'll hang onto that one awhile longer.

10ring, I had some FTF problems with it initially. That is the reason I recut the barrel ramp. Now, the ammo goes through her slicker than grain through a goose.:D

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Bodeen, VERY nice job. As Ned stated, the beavertail fit is very nice, and I for the life of me, can't understand why manufacturers who supply all their own parts and have CNC machines that will hold tolerances to .0005, put together a gun with a grip safety to frame gap that - as my friend Ted says "you can throw a cat through".

·
Registered
543 Posts
Very nicely done. Great job in all areas. I like the extra detail of polishing the thumb safety and slide stop. I also like how you beveled the mag well. As others have said great job on the beavertail too. Also a tasteful flare on the port. I know first and foremost they must shoot but for me they also have to look and feel good. It looks like this one does. When you refinished the slide did you remove the rear sight and mask the front? Also what method did you use to repolish after blasting? It looks to me like you took the extra time after your polish to go back and mask so you could reblast the cocking serrations. If so, nice touch. Thanks for showing us......

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TGR... I masked off the rear and front sights then blasted.

When I blasted the ejection port the media and air pressure blew the masking tape off of the slide below the port. I used 400 grit paper on a sanding block just enough to remove the matted spot. I then tried to duplicate that finish on the other side.

Good eye, I did reblast the cocking serrations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts