1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you smiths work on unfired NIB guns? My brother-in-law just picked up a NIB Springer Mil-Spec. To my surprise, he told me of his intention to immediately send it to a gunsmith for work (according to him, a fullhouse carry gun conversion). I suggested (pleaded) that he put at least 500-1000 rounds (my standard SOP) through it before even considering doing anything to it, and pointed out that I didn't think that a gunsmith would even work on a gun that had yet to be fired. He then revealed to me that he had done this once before with a NIB HP (same gunsmith). BTW, the work on the NIB HP turned out very nice, and he claims that it has been utterly reliable since picking it up.

Is he nuts, or am I? :confused:

·
Registered
22,176 Posts
There are some gunsmiths who prefer to work on new guns.
But I would want to shoot one first, maybe not 500+ rounds, but enough to see that it worked. Or not. You might find a factory defect that would be corrected or replaced on warranty. If you gave it straight to the 'smith, you might end up paying for work the maker would have done for nothing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I purchased 6 brand new Colts this year, after looking them over when I got home 5 went to Action Works and 1 went to Rogers Precision, none of them had been fired. If I know I am going to change the majority of the parts I send them off. If I was just going to do new sights, a beavertail or refinish it might be different.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Some pistolsmiths who do work on new pistols will generally inspect the pistol and parts before work. If a problem is found at that time, they'll generally "go to bat" for you when there is a problem with the pistol. If there is something wrong with the pistol after the work, they'll also stand behind it.

Some have even gone as far as taking care of the problem themselves (out of their own pocket).

I don't need to mention those pistolsmiths; they know who they are. (they're the ones that get my business) ;)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'm told that most 'smiths doing a "full house" gun prefer to start with a NIB example.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Pistol smith, Ed Cameron of Az, prefers to lookover my new pistols. A good smith can detect manufacturing flaws before any firing is done. My smith can tell me when the manufacturer was using dull tools to mke critical cuts. A good smith cannot only make desired modifications, but can point out and correct problems before they occur.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys, for chiming in. I guess my brother-in-law isn't as crazy as I originally thought! :eek:

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
'WIRING'

Some suggest firing 1-5K first to eliminate any dimensional changes that occur.
IMNSHO it is okay to send a NIB gun off anyways.

I been wrong before.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is something I've actually been curious about. Thanks for posting the thread.

I am looking at getting a new Colt Commander. One of the dealers I found does a ramp job, changes the trigger, and performs a deep cleaning before he ever puts the NIB gun on the shelf. He works his costs into the final price of the gun and labels it as a selling point. Sort of like a dealer certified car with options package. I wasn't sure if I should buy from him with the added "clean-up" or if I should buy the piece and shoot it first before ever having the Smith tinker with the thing,

Thoughts? Comments?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts