1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Query for you all:
Not necessarily for you sole proprietorship / independent business owners here - I'm thinking more for those of us working in a corporate cube environment...

Do you "carry" (meaning you either concealed carry or otherwise have a firearms with you such as in a backpack or such) @ work - even if it is against company policy to have a firearm?

If yes, what has "inspired" you to in spite of policy?
To that, how do you "carry" to prevent detection in an office environment?
And, what do you think would happen to you / your job if you had to use your weapon at work despite the fact you shouldn't even have it (to defend yourself, your coworkers)?

The origins of the query is that since I started my new job a few months ago I've felt a little less comfortable than I'm used to about some co-workers. They seem a bit "twitchy" comparative to past coworkers, that is, I've noticed a significant percentage of personnel who suddenly go on "leave" after going on a tirade of epic proportions the day before. This weirdness that has the hairs on the back of my neck elevated more so than anywhere else I've ever worked has me leaning heavily towards the notion of defying policy and mounting a holster in my backpack and "carrying" that way (since I spend 99% of my day in my cube with my backpack at my side or on my desk).

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
There are lots of small pocket pistols out there these days, appendix carry, ankle holsters. Where there is a will there is a way. We've all heard it said "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

·
Registered
466 Posts
Still do some consulting work now and then, and most sites do not allow possession of weapons on their property. That is their right to do so, if I don't like it, I don't have to work there.......Ok, now that the lawyers are looking away, I have been known to carry small and deep for these situations...not my first choice, but better than nothing. If it were ever brought into play, my retirement would be complete and permanent, but I would be alive to tell my wife why I'm staying at home now. I have been in situations where I wished I were armed, not pleasant at all!

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Only you can decide if the REAL rewards justify the REAL risks... What is the likelihood of a workplace incident (look at the industry, location, demographics and historical data to get an idea of the probability of an incident); balance that against the consequences and likelihood of getting caught. If you get fired, can you easily find other employment in your field that would maintain your lifestyle? Would you be blacklisted in your field? Are there criminal consequences? Nationwide, a lethal force workplace violence incident is a about one in a million possibility in the private sector.

That said, if you choose to carry at work, its one of the few times I'd suggest off body carry. With a briefcase, computer bag, or day pack, you can have access to a service size pistol, rather than a pocket gun required for deep cover on person carry. If you think you can carry a service or compact size pistol IWB- or any other way- on body and NEVER be 'made', you're living in the land of make believe.

Of course, off body carry comes with its own issues, but those are within your ability to control. You can control access to your bag.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My workplace prohibits firearms by state law. So I do not knowingly carry at work.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Knowingly? You put it on but forgot? Change jobs. Real Risk? Ask the survivors from Luby's in Killeen, Texas if they wish they had a gun with them when the guy opened up on everyone. Same goes for the recent shooting at the military base in Killeen or any shooting in any state...."If we had only known it was going to happen"

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Why yes, my gear is so well designed I can forget it is there. Why else would I still have it in a prohibited zone, being a law abiding citizen?

As for changing jobs, everywhere i can perform my trade is prohibited by state law from having a firearm. I suppose I could apply for wellfare.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
In my State posted no guns signs on a business has the force of law. First violation is a fine, second violation a bigger fine, third violation revocation of CCW permit.

Open carry on public property illegal outside of hunting and shooting sport events.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Texas passed the open carry and it will go into effect in January, but I'll still carry concealed. Really don't want the bad guys to know it's coming.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
Knowingly? You put it on but forgot? Change jobs. Real Risk? Ask the survivors from Luby's in Killeen, Texas if they wish they had a gun with them when the guy opened up on everyone. Same goes for the recent shooting at the military base in Killeen or any shooting in any state...."If we had only known it was going to happen"
The risk of an individual being involved in a workplace incident where a gun will make a difference is miniscule, probably literally 1 in a million. Despite the high level of media attention, such events are extremely rare, only a few hundred are directly exposed to an active shooter event annually. Hitting a multi million dollar lottery is much more likely. That risk may vary by geography, industry, etc, and should be considered. That needs to be balanced against the consequences of getting caught, which is much more probable. In my case, the penalty is 'employment' at the US Military Diciplinary Barracks at FT Levenworth for about a decade...
Get another job? PLEASE tell me where I can walk in the door to an $80k job... after being fired for violating an employers policies. Im well educated and experienced....
Of course its easy to say that IF an event occurs, you'll have no regrets. Thats a far cry from going to prison or becoming unemployable for 1/1,000,000 random event.
Im NOT saying that one should never carry in violation of a corporate policy. I am saying that you're MUCH more likely to be caught and face some consequence than to ever need that weapon. Its prudent to consider the consequences of that much more likely event....

Each individual needs to make choices based on their own real or perceived risks, and balance that against the potential penalties for violations.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
yep, funny, and then again, not funny....question, does State open carry superseded company policy?
To the best of my knowledge, NO State carry law supercedes a private landowners right to restrict or limit carry- with the exception of storage in a vehicle on a company owned parking lot; some States do exempt that. While it may not be a criminal violation, the employer CAN fire you.

In NC, a clearly posted sign does carry the force of law, first violation os a misdemeanor conviction, the second is a felony.... we've had more than one conversion on the topic of property vs carry rights, but to shift this thread would derail it. The OP is considering violating his company policy based on his perceived risks. He should consider the potential consequences, and be very discreet if he chooses to proceed.

EDIT: "Clearly" is the operative word in the GS, and where the wiggle room lies...

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I read in the Army Times that the Marine who had / and fired a weapon during the terrorist attack of the recruiting center will not any face charges.

I am retired now...but I am not sure I remember always following regulations regarding carry in restricted areas. I'm sure I probably did...maybe...i'm sure I would have. I still get my retirement check so now that i think about it even harder - I Always did. Of course I did. Without question I did. That includes in my car...never in my car.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
The risk of an individual being involved in a workplace incident where a gun will make a difference is miniscule, probably literally 1 in a million. .
wonder what the odds are of the "average" EDC'er that lives, works and plays in the "average" middle America of needing lethal force??

BTW, my first "real" girlfriend/love was kidnapped, raped and murdered walking to her car as she left work .(aid at a hospital)
1975 in Smallville Ohio ..hospital located in a low/no crime part of town

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/ravenna-oh/T91ONUH4H6PKPNP9E

would being armed made a difference?? ...don't know.
it very well could of increased her odds though

To the OP's query....
It's my opinion, everyone has the God given inalienable right to self defense up to and including the use of lethal force

It's also a fact, your employer has the right to fire you over it.
and you may even suffer legal troubles

"let each man work out his own salvation...."

..L.T.A.

·
Banned
346 Posts
Ill risk being defenseless at work vs carrying in violation of their policy. Thr chance of me being in an armed encounter at work during my lifetime is extremely rare, far rarer than the chance of my employer finding out im violating their policy

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
A company has the right to dictate weapons policies on its premises. If you can't live with that then find another job.
Jerry

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Protection in the work place.....

As one post stated, the odds of needing a gun for self defense at work is extremely low.....however, "peace of mind is important" and having a plan will help....

One possibility is to carry a can of Raid Wasp & Hornet spray in your backpack....it is perfectly legal, and if ever needed, it has the potential to disable and/or blind the attacker. A new can can send a chemical stream 10-15'......which may enable you to escape the building, to retrieve a more formidable weapon in your vehicle..... If someone steals your backpack at work, you may not be out much money.....if someone takes a peek inside your backpack, who cares....? Another but more expensive option might be a Taser. If they are not considered a weapon, they may be carried concealed, or placed in a back pack.....best to check your state laws. It is not a firearm, and may not be against company policy....

The last thing you would want is to lose your job or even face charges for a "perceived fear" that may never happen.....

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
In numerous threads I see posts about statistics and "average"gunfights and the chances/odds of being in one. They absolutely amaze me.

Anyway. If I'm not being searched or going through a metal detector, I'm carrying in some form or fashion.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts