1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently working on a new Web page dedicated to (of course) the USGI M1911 and 1911A1 pistols. Given my limited skills with HTML it won't be very fancy, but I intend it to be a nice rounding out of the information scattered across the other 1911 sites, with some stuff that they've missed added in. Anyway, to keep it from being nothing but text I am scooping up pictures of GI 1911s, including rarities, foreign contracts, and especially vintage wartime or military photos with 1911s in them. If anybody has any .jpg files they're willing to share please e-mail them to me. Please keep the file sizes down but don't send anything low in quality either. Thanks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I scanned a book and put it up on Syds 1911 sight. That has many good resources in it - why not link to it. Syd even added a really cool search engine.

Anthony

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm aware of Syd's online book, and it's an excellent resource. But there's still other things that I'd like to mention and comment on that isn't in the book. But a link may not be a bad idea, just for the sake of complete coverage. Right now all the juicy info is scattered across several 1911 sites. My page certainly won't rate as the be all, end all of 1911 Websites but it should still be a valid reference, especially given all the questions I see posted on this forum and others.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Will it be a site we can post on DSK? Can't wait man you must achieve it now since you mentioned it. No saying well I tried but no luck. Man that will be great, don't worry at least 15 to 20 people will see it the first day. Is it done yet? Whats taking so long? Is it done yet?

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I'm not Web-savvy enough to figure out how to have a page where you can post. More than likely I will link to this page since it's the best anyway.

Don't expect a lot of bells and whistles. It will mostly be linking the various resources already available on the Web together for easy finding, plus a little of my own stuff thrown in for good measure. I had to put it aside for the last week or so due to other issues. It's amazing how you'll get bored and start a project, and then suddenly the whole house catches fire or something.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The house catching fire is your only escape. You've greased the wheels so get that baby rolling. Or else come to Las Vegas so I got someone to go shootin with. Let me know if interested in the shooting.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just keep tuned here for updates. I have it half-finished but now I am thinking of redoing what I've got to make it less cluttered. I reckon probably by the end of the month I'll have it up.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:
It's on schedule to be finished by month's end. However, I still need .jpg files of many 1911s such as the Singer, North American Arms, and Springfield Armory. I've already scoured the net but there are no really good ones there.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
DSK there are a couple of incorrect history notes in your site. I will not mention them as I don't want to discourage your effort. Pretty neat site. Shows you really care about Colt and history. I will e-mail you when I can. Thanks and congratulations.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, lay 'em on me. Everything should have been researched but then again even the info can be incorrect.

By the way, if the Website goes down that's because I failed to provide credits for the photos BEFORE posting them. One by one I'm going to go through and provide credits but if anybody recognizes something as theirs please bring it to my attention, rather than send nasty flame e-mails as it's purely unintentional.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
OK DSK only one thing the WWI 1911's manufactured for the Navy were marked U.S.NAVY. I think your site is super. I learned some things on there and I hope you get alot of visitors. Thanks for your effort.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My information (Clawson's guide) tells me that the Navy marked guns were only produced until 1915 (15,000 made), after which they were all marked "Model of 1911 US Army" regardless of branch of service. At the same time however, Clawson insists there was never a USMC marked 1911, although Syd's Website supposedly has a picture of one (and you can't see the slide markings). So if you have any info that refutes this please let me know.

BTW I pulled a few pictures off the site until their original owner is contacted and gives his approval. I don't need to ruffle any feathers straight out of the starting gate.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
No I don't. And how many books and sites did you get your history from? Good stuff DSK, I know I don't have the patients to do something like that.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a library of books and magazine articles. And yes, enough conflict each other that it's hard to sort the truth out. You'll notice I already corrected a few things on the history page after reading through one of Clawson's books and finding the information there different than what I first stated from another source. And yes, I WILL have credits up on there soon, but I'm concentrating on the fun stuff first.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
DSK collecting section is right on. I guess all of us collectors experience similar circumstances. Good info there. Maybe you should start a second part on this subject. Since its the first or second I come to. And always want to say something.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: I'm way behind. Several matters have taken up my time, but I hope to resume working on it this week.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts