1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And was surprise my Ed Brown was a lot more accurate than my Wilson, going to be interesting as I proceed.
The Wilson came to me with a test target 5 shot group in one and a half inches @15 yds but that was with Bullseye.
I know differnt guns like differnt loads but powder ?
Best/picker

·
Registered
858 Posts
i had lots of fun with 3.2gr to 3.6gr of RedDot under a 200gr LSWC economical!!
i luvs me RedDot

contrary to charts RedDot seems to have a bit more grunt down low then BE

if i could only have one powder i think i would pick RedDot from handgun to shotgun to interesting rifle loads

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
I have used Red Dot for many years in all types of big bore pistol ammo. Though it meters kinda like dirt - it is a good powder. My Uniflow measure has no problem with it. My favorite Red Dot loads ran from 4.7 to 5.0 gr. with a 200 gr. cast SWC.(.45 ACP) Bullseye is pretty hard to beat in .45 ACP target loads though. WST is another great .45 ACP target powder.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i luvs me RedDot

if i could only have one powder i think i would pick RedDot from handgun to shotgun to interesting rifle loads
Man that's some powder puff loads, I started at 4.1 grns, and my chrono says 743 FPS in my Wilson with a 5" barrel and 650 in my Ed Brown with a 4.2 inch barrel.going up to 4.3 now. just to see, I will say one thing the Ed Brown shot 3 rounds in one hole @ 15 yds with 4.1 grns.
Best/picker

·
Registered
858 Posts
Man that's some powder puff loads,
well yeah they are
but a classic bullseye competion load is 3.5-3.8 gr of BE
under a 200gr LSWC
and ive found if i run a bit less of RedDot
they shoot about the same as the BE load
with a 14lb spring those loads should runout fine a 5" 1911
:D

if anyone is interested
here is a page of Bullseye Loads of the Past

some fun stuff there
i noticed that alot of folks now are running hotter
but i sure enjoy lobbing them in there real slow

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well yeah they are
but a classic bullseye competion load is 3.5-3.8 gr of BE
under a 200gr LSWC
and ive found if i run a bit less of RedDot
they shoot about the same as the BE load
with a 14lb spring those loads should runout fine a 5" 1911
:D

if anyone is interested
here is a page of Bullseye Loads of the Past

some fun stuff there
i noticed that alot of folks now are running hotter
but i sure enjoy lobbing them in there real slow
I agree why beat your gun up for target practice .
best/picker

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
i luvs me RedDot

3.6gr red dot under a 200gr lswc Works in all of my 45ACP's. Red Dot/Promo is what I use in all of my pistols when target shooting unless I'm experimenting. Red Dot and Unique are 2 powders to have on hand if your on a budget and can have only 2 for what may be the most variety.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
4.0 gr. Red Dot with H&G 68 200 gr. BB SWC for a target load is very close to the 4.0 gr Bullseye load that John Giles recommended, both of which will shoot around 1/2" groups at 50' out of my best guns and you can usually get by with the factory 15-16 lb. recoil spring in a lot of guns unless you are using a heavy a** mainspring and the gun is super tight (a 14 lb. spring does work better). 4.7 gr. Red Dot with the same bullet is a very accurate major/combat load. And 4.4 gr. Red Dot with a 230 gr. lead RN.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I like 4.2 grs with either a 200gr FP or 200gr SWC, both plated from XTreme. Red Dot is my go-to powder in .45ACP. In my 5" gun with a 14lb spring it ejects my cases within 3' of me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts