1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had my w6 for about a 1 1/2 years now, and it seems to have lost some retention. the holster itself is in good shape, i'm just not comfortable with how well it retains my 1911 anymore. is this normal with a custom leather holster?? it's definately very well made, so it's not there fault. either it normal wear and tear, or i have reholstering sloppily.

been considering a blade-tech IWB. anyone know a good source online?? the kydex fits my intended use a bit better as i'll be using it year round and when it's not on my hip, it rides under the seat of my truck (dirty and moist at times). also i'm not concerned about the finish getting marred by the kydex anymore.

thanks

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
The classic sign of a worn out holster is when it no longer retains the gun in position without allowing it to shift and move in the holster.

When this happens, the holster's service life is over, no matter HOW nice it looks.

When the gun can shift and move, it's no longer retained properly, and the friction of the movement will quickly wear the finish off the gun.

Service life can last from many years to just months, depending on how it's used, and under what conditions.

Time to retire it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the gun doesn't shift when in the holster. it just comes out a tad too easily for my taste. definately don't feel comfortable running or jumping with it anymore.

guess i'll get a new one. i wonder if it would be useful to someone with a springfield, considering their frames are a bit bigger??

thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,518 Posts
An IWB is retained by the belt and your body as well. Try wearing an UNLOADED gun then jump up and down a few times (do jumping jacks), jog a few yards, do some physical activities, see if the gun feels like it wants to jump out. If it does feel like it's trying to work its way out, DON'T give up yet. Contact Tony Kanaley at Milt Sparks and explain your holster's condition to him. I'm sure he can help. A leather holster can be rejuvenated and remold to tighten up the retention. Don't call him next week though, he's gone to Thunder Ranch for a week.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
The tightness of your belt aids in retention. Also, the Watch Six lacks the metal reinforcement of the VM II, etc. I have worn Milt Sparks holsters everyday for several years and have yet to wear one out. I suppose anything is possible, though.

Be well!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I agree with contacting Tony Kanaley.

Most holstermakers can "tighten up" a loosened example of their wares, and also do other types of "spiffing up" for a nominal charge.

I've had such things done several times, by Ken Null, Milt Sparks Leather and Lou Alessi, and all were very nice to deal with.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thakns for the replies fellas-

it may still have plenty of retention for most, or may have loosened to fast draws that alot of people want.

i think i'm just looking for an excuse to buy something different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts