1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
My bride is a native of New Haven, CN, I'm 6th gen Texian. Our personalities are very different.

My theory: All people need space.

Texans (and is this particularly true of those who live outside of the biggest cities) are friendly because they have SPACE between themselves and their closest neighbors. Friendliest Texans are in West Texas where, for many folks, the nearest neighbors might be 1/4 mile, or even many miles apart. When two West Texans meet, they are very friendly to each other - with all that space, they're glad to see any other human being.

This is true in many other states as well. I'm only singling out Texas because the OP did.

My observation is that urban New Yorkers (and Connecticut, Massachusetts and similar states), by contrast, tend to be very abrupt and impatient (some might describe such behavior as bordering on rude). Why? Because they live, like ants in an ant nest, crawling all over each other. So, they create their "space" with their personalities.

I believe this "space" issue is universal. City dwellers create space with their personalities - essentially a verbal push. Rural folks welcome the chance to visit with others. This is true also in Texas' largest cities: Dallas, Houston, Austin. Not so true in San Antonio, at least yet, but trending that way. "Smaller" Texas cities (Fort Worth, Abilene, Amarillo, etc.) are still very friendly. The trend among Texans, and particularly those at or approaching retirement age, is to move out of the cities and back to small towns (of 25,000 people or fewer) - to be around friendlier people.
Dallas, Houston, and Austin have the largest infestations of out-of-state big city leftests moving into them. Explains much about the lack of happy friendliness of those places.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Dallas, Houston, and Austin have the largest infestations of out-of-state big city leftests moving into them. Explains much about the lack of happy friendliness of those places.
Austin has been a "Yankee" destination for several decades. It was a cool town in the early eighties when I served at Bergstrom AFB back then.

·
Registered
227 Posts
NYC??? The subways, the stench, people defecating in the street, street gangs & hoodlums roaming free day & night as they know they will be out of jail on no bond before your out of the hospital (or morgue). 1st time I obeyed their stupid laws and didn't carry nothing but a legal 3" blade pocket knife (wasn't even allowed a spring activated). Second time I was forced to go there my glock 23 snuck in with me. I used that old saying of "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" to justify it and will do the same from here on out. FNYC
Texas and Kentucky are like vacation paradises compared to the hell pit that is NYC

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I lived in Atlanta from 99-2004. Its more like a parking lot. Nothing was as demoralizing as trying to get home on a Friday, only to see brake lights stretching to the horizon.
Rush hour? I'm sure you're correct.
My brother lives in Stockbridge. We always avoided rush hours whenever we visited him, as it's smart to do in any big city.
But times other than rush hours??? Everyone is haulin' a$$! :>))

Reactions: PaulWVa

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love road trips but my car has California plates. 1978 I came back from overseas and I drove to my next duty station. Camp Lejeune, NC. I stopped in Iowa to get gas and the old man working there thought I was a "hippy" even with a flat top haircut. He was just blind from ignorance.

Since 1990 or so, whenever I went hunting in WA, ID, UT or CO, people think you are coming here to buy acreage and drive up the property prices.

We have a long history of USMC service in my family. My father, cousins, uncles... Looking sharp in those dress blues, sir. Semper Fi

·
Registered
227 Posts
I love road trips but my car has California plates. 1978 I came back from overseas and I drove to my next duty station. Camp Lejeune, NC. I stopped in Iowa to get gas and the old man working there thought I was a "hippy" even with a flat top haircut. He was just blind from ignorance.

Since 1990 or so, whenever I went hunting in WA, ID, UT or CO, people think you are coming here to buy acreage and drive up the property prices.

NGL Respect, Getting some Clint Eastwood vibes from this pic (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts

That's a hard face that I wouldn't mess with.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's a hard face that I wouldn't mess with.
I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do you, punk?
The answer is "no". I wouldn't feel lucky against that dude. My feeling is that he would rip me up one side and down the other. I could be wrong. But I doubt it :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
10 or so years ago I was delivering to Louisville. Traffic caused me to be late and the place was closed when I pulled in. I asked the 2 black women in the office if I could spend the night in their lot. They looked at each other for a while, one turned to me, a white MN guy, and said "you dont want to do that. You're a white boy". After laughing with them I thanked them for their honesty. These 2 helped me avoid trouble that no one needs.
Back in the day, I was doing some work at a clinic in the Quindaro section of KC KS.
It was wintertime, and it got dark early.

Same kind of situation, the two ladies in the office had higher melanin levels than I do.

One of them says to me "White Boy, You DO plan on being out of here before dark, right?"

To which I replied: "Well, when I saw barbed wire topped fences around the Churches and Church Buses, with Iron Bars on all the windows around here, I figured it was a pretty tough area and that I'd probably be better off getting clear before dark."

To which the one lady replied "For a White Boy, you're pretty smart!"
She then went on to say, "When it gets dark, the "No Account Elements Come Out, and nobody is safe until daylight, and sometimes not even then."

We all laughed, and then I finished up and cleared out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Back in the day, I was doing some work at a clinic in the Quindaro section of KC KS.
It was wintertime, and it got dark early.

Same kind of situation, the two ladies in the office had higher melanin levels than I do.

One of them says to me "White Boy, You DO plan on being out of here before dark, right?"

To which I replied: "Well, when I saw barbed wire topped fences around the Churches and Church Buses, with Iron Bars on all the windows around here, I figured it was a pretty tough area and that I'd probably be better off getting clear before dark."

To which the one lady replied "For a White Boy, you're pretty smart!"
She then went on to say, "When it gets dark, the "No Account Elements Come Out, and nobody is safe until daylight, and sometimes not even then."

We all laughed, and then I finished up and cleared out.
I think I've seen that movie before. Mine ended with a few locals wondering if i would pull the trigger or was just bluffing. They ended walking away from the car when they realized this wasn't gonna be another Reginald Denny incident

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I think I've seen that movie before. Mine ended with a few locals wondering if i would pull the trigger or was just bluffing. They ended walking away from the car when they realized this wasn't gonna be another Reginald Denny incident
The ladies were really nice and pleasant.

The area however was a bit rough.

Reactions: Ringolevio
81 - 100 of 155 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.