1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a Colt lightweight officers enhanced for awhile now, and I havent found one to suit me yet, Usually in the 700 range, and I was hoping for a stainless one at that,
I took a chance and went out of my way to stop in this gun shop who sells for good prices from time to time, And in the cabinet was this Lil Defender

:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Used, But I cant see how it was used, except purchased once before, I think that I did good on it, Now I would like to find some night sights (Trijican) if someone could point me to the right direction that would be great!
One never knows how their guns are priced, and I dont care! Last year I bought a 98% condition Smith 19-3, Blued with 6" barrel 357 there for 199.
Just thought i'de share.
Peter.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
The Defender is a WAY better handgun than the old Officers ACP. It actually has a well thought-out recoil system, whereas the OACP was more of a "let's chop it down and see if it still works" design. Ya did good.

·
Registered
815 Posts
$649 is good

I see by the tag on the Defender that you paid $649. That is a very good price. I bought my slightly used Defender for $700 about 18 months ago.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I paid $700.00 for my 40 S&W Defender a couple of years ago. You couldn't touch one for that now, from what I've seen. $649.00 is good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bit More For A New Defender

I see by the tag on the Defender that you paid $649. That is a very good price. I bought my slightly used Defender for $700 about 18 months ago.

I just bought my Colt Defender today. It was a fair bit more than $700!

I liked the grips shown in your picture. What are they and did they come with the allen screws? I would like to get a thinner set of grips for my Defender and convert the screws from standard Colt slotted screws to allen screws.

·
Registered
435 Posts
How are the .40s&w defenders? I know a guy that has one and wants $500 for it. Not sure why he wants to get rid of it. I'm going to look at it later today; I hope it's in good shape.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ditto on wishing Colt would produce the CCO. I love the Defender but would immediatly buy a CCO if they sold them. Wilson's newest website offers a ton of nice options and I'm eyeing the 4 inch bull barrrel .40 or .45 with an alloy officers / compact frame. Pricey but sweet.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Alumagrips

I liked the grips shown in your picture. What are they and did they come with the allen screws? I would like to get a thinner set of grips for my Defender and convert the screws from standard Colt slotted screws to allen screws.
The grips on my Defender are thinline Alumagrips:

Alumagrips website

You can buy the hex screws shown from Alumagrips along with their grips. You also need to replace the standard grip bushings with thin bushings, which they also sell.

Thin 1911 grip panels in Officers' size (Defender size) are also available in a variety of woods and in micarta, from various vendors.

·
Registered
23,211 Posts
I love mine and keep my eyes open for a good deal on a used one or a 40, or a Defender Plus with the longer grip (Only made one year I think). I wish they had a model with the Defender frame on a Commander slide. Call it a "New Tank" or something.

·
Registered
57 Posts
pred66, you did great! I have a Defender and a .45 Officers. The Defender is probably a better designed pistol. I also would like to find a .40 S&W Defender here in DFW. Eventually I will look elsewhere.

Nice buy pred66. Good shooting.
Officers picture for comparison.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
our local store got brand new Colt Defenders (45ACP) on sale for 750$/each this week. i might consider getting one. They are very well made.:rock:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Picked up my Defender NIB for $715 + tx a couple of years ago. Pretty nice ~ only I have to duck on incoming brass to the forehead once in a while.:)

Mine with a CCR frame paint job, light dehorning, Wilson drop in BT and trigger, Alumigrips.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Holy Smoke!!

I was at the gun show last weekend. The "lowball price" guy had 2 new Defenders at $800.00 a copy!! And this was the guy the other dealers hate because his prices are so low.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day at the range for my new/used defender, Ran about 50 rounds through it, and it ran great,!100%!!!!! I did not expirence the occasional shell to the forehead though, I am glad of that!! By the looks of things I did get a good price!
Peter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
smschulz - Very nice!

My daily carry, stock besides the slim alumagrips and Tripp research followers:

I'd like to pick up another one sometime to keep in top condition, and maybe even have this one cleaned up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts