1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I admit it's been ages since I last stepped into a gun shop. In my state (People's Republic of MA), new 1911's have been banned since the mid-90's since they don't meet the state's consumer safety standards (whatever the hell that is).

I was in the neighborhood last night so I paid this one local store a visit. They had 3 used, plain jane series 80's and one series 70's ranging from $1250 to $1500. They also had 2 or 3 vintage Remington Rand and WWII era 1911a ranging from $1600 to $1800. The cheapest .45 was actually a well used Colt Double Eagle, which was about $700. Man, I remember seeing these guns go for half that price. This particular store has always been reasonable when it came to gun prices.

You folks who live in other, more reasonable states are really lucky. This is what happens when you're surrounded by liberals more interested in screwing the honest tax payer than the criminal.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
yeah, but you had Romney as your governor, I don't see why MA is still so antigun what with having had such a pro second amendment governor...

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
If you hesitant to buy off the internet sight unseen, come to NH. You can purchase, have dealer transfer to FFL of your choice. I don't know what Mass. transfer fees are, but I'll bet you'll still be coming out ahead. Several of the southern NH shops have their guns marked as Mass compliant or not.
We will welcome your Mass dollars, just remember: Drive With Courtesy- That's The New Hampshire Way!:dope:

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you hesitant to buy off the internet sight unseen, come to NH. You can purchase, have dealer transfer to FFL of your choice. I don't know what Mass. transfer fees are, but I'll bet you'll still be coming out ahead. Several of the southern NH shops have their guns marked as Mass compliant or not.
We will welcome your Mass dollars, just remember: Drive With Courtesy- That's The New Hampshire Way!:dope:
Not entirely true. To transfer to MA, the handgun must be 1. MA compliant. 2. Manufactured pre 10/28/98 and on "the list". Last I checked Colts are not on "the list".:barf:

Brain, keep looking. Deals can be found. Especially with private sales as they are not subject to the Attorney General's Regulations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was in my local gun shop this past weekend and they had Colt .45 that looked just like the "1911" I used in the Army but was brand new in the box. I didn't notice "1911" stamped on it but on the side that was showing I believe it said "Government" or something like that. If I remember correctly, the price was $699.00 and it was full size, matt finish with checked wood grips.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Not entirely true. To transfer to MA, the handgun must be 1. MA compliant. 2. Manufactured pre 10/28/98 and on "the list". Last I checked Colts are not on "the list".:barf:

Brain, keep looking. Deals can be found. Especially with private sales as they are not subject to the Attorney General's Regulations.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the bad info. You guys have it worse than I thought! I just looked this up http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=AG's+Regulations&sid=Cago&b=terminalcontent&f=government_Regulations_940CMR16&csid=Cago#16.05:%20Sale%20of%20Handguns%20Without%20Childproofing%20or%20Safety%20Devices Much worse.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm really depressed. I was digging out some old forms from the vault today and found my receipts for my two existing Colts.

Colt Delta Elite 10mm (1 Mar '94, used) = $395.00+19.75 tax

Colt Gold Cup Enhanced .45ACP (1 Sep '94, new) = $629.50+31.48 tax

Man, those were the days :(

·
Registered
336 Posts
Now I'm really depressed. I was digging out some old forms from the vault today and found my receipts for my two existing Colts.

Colt Delta Elite 10mm (1 Mar '94, used) = $395.00+19.75 tax

Colt Gold Cup Enhanced .45ACP (1 Sep '94, new) = $629.50+31.48 tax

Man, those were the days :(
The sad part is that back in 94 those prices would have been too high for my budget and I would have passed.:bawling:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Keep some stashed cash on-hand, and do everything you can to sniff out private sellers, wherever you are, wherever you go. Those are the best deals anyway. I just bought a Colt WWI repro from a private seller for $899, with no fees, taxes, paperwork, etc. It's in beautiful condition, he only shot one box through it and decided it was too pretty to scuff up as a carry weapon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
OK. I admit it's been ages since I last stepped into a gun shop. In my state (People's Republic of MA), new 1911's have been banned since the mid-90's since they don't meet the state's consumer safety standards (whatever the hell that is).

I was in the neighborhood last night so I paid this one local store a visit. They had 3 used, plain jane series 80's and one series 70's ranging from $1250 to $1500. They also had 2 or 3 vintage Remington Rand and WWII era 1911a ranging from $1600 to $1800. The cheapest .45 was actually a well used Colt Double Eagle, which was about $700. Man, I remember seeing these guns go for half that price. This particular store has always been reasonable when it came to gun prices.

You folks who live in other, more reasonable states are really lucky. This is what happens when you're surrounded by liberals more interested in screwing the honest tax payer than the criminal.
I'm from Mass too and agree with you 100%. Even most private sales are looking for decent money for 1911s. I paid a bit more than I wanted for a MKIV Series 70, but it's mint, completely unmolested and came with a box. Not one Colt is on the AGs "Approved List".....nice!

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'm from Mass too and agree with you 100%. Even most private sales are looking for decent money for 1911s. I paid a bit more than I wanted for a MKIV Series 70, but it's mint, completely unmolested and came with a box. Not one Colt is on the AGs "Approved List".....nice!
WOW!! And I thought Cali was bad. We at least have some on the DOJ Approved List.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What else would you expect from a state that is determined to restrict the rights of the hard working, tax paying citizen, but continually re-elects a cowardly, murderous senator to office.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That's terrible. People like to bash CA on gun forums, but you guys really have it bad. I used to complain about how handguns have to be on the certified list here in CA, but I have two new, custom Colts that I can load with JHP's and carry around with me legally. It sounds like you can't do that in MA.

I know that NJ banned JHP ammo, and it sounds like CCW is easier where I live than either MA or NJ!

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Colt 1911's are extremely expensive way down here in Texas. Gun shows forget about it, guns are more expensive than GB.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts