1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not a big letter writer, but at times, I can be a big-letter writer. :biglaugh: Okay, that probably just amused me. Anyhow, while trying to look up Oregon gun dealers, an odd link came up; for the Brady's. That led me to the "Ceasefire of Oregon" link...which kinda pissed me off. So, like most pissed off people w/ a computer, I wrote a letter:

Good evening,

This evening I was researching local gun dealers and had the great misfortune of coming across your website...because of this, I need to get in contact with Google as well. I could not believe that in a state where we are fortunate enough to be a "shall issue" concealed handgun state and our governor, Ted Kulongowski, has been quoted in regards to having an OSP officer stationed at his home as saying "...I told em just give me a gun, I don't really need to have him here," that we would have an organized group that advocated ridding households of firearms and ever more disturbing, advising parents to ask if there is a firearm in the house. What in the world gives anyone a right to ask if I have a firearm in my home?! My firearm is there as protection, revealing my source of protection to a mere associate that is bound to me by no more than the friendship of our kids, along with telling how I store it, would be amongst the stupidest things one could do, aside from trading in said weapon(s) for cheap sporting event tickets for a poor professional team.

Moreover, I see that you advocate keeping firearms unloaded and locked away. I cannot argue that is a great idea for when one is away from the home, however when at home, it should be within your reach to truly serve as a home defense tool. Doing so and engaging in firearms classes and regular trips to the shooting range, practicing jam drills, drawing from the holster and shooting in low light conditions would mold gun owners into responsible gun owners and thus lower the percentage of guns being used on the owners.

I also see that you seem to advocate a "gun-free workplace," even though I couldn't find anywhere on your site where you could expand on this idea. May I remind you all that in the last mass shooting in a Nebraska shopping mall that the exterior doors were posted with a sign advising shoppers that firearms were not allowed. Virginia Tech as well had, and unfortunately still has a 0 tolerance for firearm possession on their campus. Every campus that has ever had a shooting had 0 lawfully armed people in them. Your group's disliking of, ignorance of and fear of firearms have blinded you to the fact that legally certified concealed handgun permit holders could potentially have saved a vast amount of precious life and disregards the fact that disallowing a firearm in a facility solely prevents those with social and professional bonds from bringing a weapon in to the structure. Furthermore, such bans do nothing to deter a would-be mass murderer who has no regard for others and of consequence.

Lastly, your group seems to be greatly concerned with mental health and the consequences of a mentally distressed person getting their hands on firearms. Your concern is merely a mask to the ugly hate you have for people like myself. That dislike is revealed by the fact that you have 0 references to helplines, no series of warning signs of depression or drug addiction and no reference for intervention for those that are have mental problems. May I recommend that you at least put in the phone number to project respond: 503-988-4888, this way you can at least put up an external guise to make people believe that your organization is actually fueled by a caring of people, not a fear of an intangible object.

If you've actually made it this far down my email (I greatly doubt you have.), may I recommend a more gun-owner friendly educational program (That is if you actually have a true caring about kids, not just a fear and dislike of guns.) That is http://www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/ . Additionally, you should post the four cardinal rules of handling a firearm: Treat all weapons as though they are loaded, do not point weapons at anything you are not willing and justified in destroying, keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to pull it and finally, be sure of your backstop. Again, post these if your agenda is truly to lower gun deaths and not disarming honest gun owners through mass hysteria of non-gun-owners.

Thanks for listening,

Firearm owner and Multnomah County concealed handgun license holder

My question is...has anyone wrote to gun-grabbing groups. What kid of response did you get? It irritates me when people don't see the way that I do...the world would be a lot better place if folks would just follow my flawless logic :D But seriously, I think it would be beneficial for our cause if dialog was created in a public forum for those that are on the fence of gun issues...how could that be created?

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
Good letter kudos to you for taking the time, it is my impression that these people are a waste of time, they already have made up their mind to the point that this is their "life's work". Writing to legislators is a more effective use of your time {IMO}. I did recently write a letter to John Walsh as he accepted an award from the Brady Bunch, without being caustic, I gave him the perspective of a gun owner dealing with an organization that want's to strip him of his right for self protection. I haven't received a response, but it was probably a low level employee that reads the emails anyway at AMW.

A friend of mine a state senator told me that correspondence carries a lot of clout when she enters committee meetings, and when she can take in bankers boxes of them they are worth their weight in gold. The hell raising over amnesty is a good example of the masses speaking out.

Since you are action oriented, print this link and post it at the range, maybe we can shame another shooter into voting:

http://www.alphadogweb.com/firearms/If_you_don't_vote_like_a_gun_owner.htm

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
A wise person once reminded me that it's pretty stupid to tell an idiot that he/she's an idiot. Might have made you feel better to write the letter, but the idiots to whom the letter was addressed are and always will be idiots. ;)

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
WalterGC said:
A wise person once reminded me that it's pretty stupid to tell an idiot that he/she's an idiot. Might have made you feel better to write the letter, but the idiots to whom the letter was addressed are and always will be idiots. ;)
And may they never reproduce.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anti-gunners who are actually members of such groups are rarely converted. Go for those on the fence instead, they can still be appealed to by logic and reason.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
joffe said:
Anti-gunners who are actually members of such groups are rarely converted. Go for those on the fence instead, they can still be appealed to by logic and reason.
Where would one find said fence-sitters?

And I've gotten the hint that my words fell on deaf ears...I was still waiting foe some kind of response though...:grumble:

·
Registered
72 Posts
HeHateMe said:
Where would one find said fence-sitters?

And I've gotten the hint that my words fell on deaf ears...I was still waiting foe some kind of response though...:grumble:
Basically anyone - most people don't care too much about political issues one way or the other, they can be swayed either way. The extremists/activists on both sides are few.

I used to be a fence-sitter, I didn't give the issue much thought at all. I wasn't raised around guns (in fact, my father is sorta neutral, I'd call him anti-gun but that's because he's anti-CCW), yet I was 'converted' by logical argument.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts