1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose this has come up before but I have not been frequenting the Reloading Bench forum. I just shot some Longbow frangible ammo (see my little review in Ammo Can), and it is loaded using these WW large flash hole cases. Seems I've read this is so the new style, less-toxic primers will work, and that they should be OK with regular primers, but I'd sure like to hear some soothing sords from somebody who has already not-blown-up their gun with these cases!

I remember an article about shooting wax bullets with primers only, and the flash holes had to be made bigger. I seem to remember that also that the article carried a big caveat about not mixing those cases with unmodified cases....?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I called Win. on this and they said they use
this (bigger flashhole) on their Winclean ammo. I was told by Winchester that it is safe to reload them. I found that with my target loads the Winclean brass produced better groups (lower SD on fps).So I keep the Winclean brass separated from my other brass.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Right! Winchester is using a lead-free primer compound in their Winclean line. The larger flashole insures reliable ignition with this new primer compound.

Safe to reload - no worries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are getting better results from the Winclean brass what would happen if I took my standard brass and reamed the flash hole out to the same size as the Winclean?

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's best to leave this alone kansas. I don't like having large primer holes when loading
Major Power Factor loads. I use Winclean in my lighter lead loads.Do'nt go reamin nuthin>

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put up some of my bowling pin loads in these cases today-- 215 National Bullet copperized SWC at about 1010 FPS. Didn't see or feel any dif. I did not 'graph them. I still am going to keep these cases segragated until I'm more comfy with them, though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dear Ned,

I've been using the brass for a while now, since I shot some of their new stuff and I too noticed the flash holes. No problems with any load or gun I've tried.
On the old wax loads, they were drilling the flash holes out as large as possible, so the primer barely had purchase. With a huge-o hole like that, there was primer setback. With the Winchester dimension, no problem. I've even used some in my 625's and not seen a problem.

[This message has been edited by Patrick Sweeney (edited 07-05-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts