1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked-up a very used WWI 1911 yesterday on the net for $200. It's gonna be my project gun, unless I fall in love with it the way it is. (Preservationists, this is your cue!
) I'll get it next week

Here's the post - please tell me how old this piece really is.

"All original Mod 1911, ser 313658. .45ACP. From estate of WW1 vet and believed to be his wartime sidearm. Used condition with cosmetic blemishes."

Thanks!

------------------
The Humongously Adventuresome * E the B *

·
Administrator
73,384 Posts
It was made in the spring of 1918. For $200 you really can't go wrong, but as for where it's been don't put too much faith in the story. It may indeed be true, but be forewarned there are more BS stories than guns out there! On one of the online auctions right now there is a 1944 Colt that the seller claims was purchased by the previous owner straight from the DCM, and that it hasn't been touched or fired. Well, he has the DCM papers to back that part of the story up, but the gun has the wrong grips and slide stop, and appears heavily refinished.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://usgi1911.tripod.com

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
E the B - I am 1/2 preservationist and 1/2 "shoot-em & use-em. If it were on the minty side (and if it was, then really how much "service" could it have really seen!)I'd be inclined to keep it as a "safe queen". However, if it has had lots of good honest use but no abuse (parts all there, no cracks etc...) then I'd be inclined to shoot it! Maybe draw the line on "customizing" it unless it was "drop-in" parts that could be removed and the 1911 restored back to "as was" condition. (But for heaven's sake, put all of the original parts in one place, and lock them up, so you have them to put back in, if you need to!)

I know the feeling when a new (old) 1911 is about to arrive. Congradulations - I'm sure you'll be really happy with it. And after all it's a Colt, ain't it?

Regards, NAA

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If the gun is as claimed, I would suggest it as a project gun to restore it to original condition as a nice little piece of working history. You can easily spend a good amount of money on the gun to try to make it into something it isn't, but what is the point?

I have a WWI safe queen and don't shoot it as it is a family hierloom. Gosh it is nice to look at and handle, but any gun that isn't for shooting is just art or junk, both of which I have too much of already. Since it is a family piece, I can't get rid of it either, so it is a white elephant as well.

If the gun works, then chances are you got a pretty good deal, used or very used.

66 Posts
You get what you pay for. So your 1911 is gonna have a reciever or slide from 1980 or so. As the original was worn out. A shooter from any era is just a shooter. And not worth your pumping 3 to 4 times its value into. As the tolerences can't be added. As they've been gone for long before most of us were born. $200 gets you a $200 dollar gun. Not that it is'nt still an old Colt. Just one no one cares to value as one.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I think I'll restore it as a preservation project. BUT, it will be a shooter !!

------------------
The Humongously Adventuresome * E the B *

1 - 6 of 6 Posts