1911Forum banner

WW1 Colt Reissue.

2K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  The Wizard 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Very new here and have been overwhelmed with all the awesome information I have already received from this site! Was wondering if anyone has a Colt WW1 reissue and think it’s worth what they are commanding as of late (if you can find one) I really want one but have not found one for sale recently. What should I expect to pay for one ? I love the historical context behind them and also think they are beautiful firearms. The current colts on the market just don’t do it for me. The closest new colt I like is the royal blue but I HATE the colt custom roll mark on it. Seems gaudy. Anyways appreciate your help! Thanks guys!

#3 ·
Actually you want to search under O1918, not 01918. Unless of course the seller made the same mistake. ;)

BTW just FYI we do not allow any posts with a WTS or WTB on this forum.

Reactions: Deyomatic
#4 ·
Anyway, to answer your question yes they were nice guns. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay more than $1600 or so for one however. I do have one that I bought in 2009 with money I received from my late father's estate, so it's kinda special to me. Currently it wears a set of grips made from teak deck wood salvaged from the battleship USS North Carolina the last time she was overhauled.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

#5 ·
I have one of the "Carbonia Blue" WW1 repro I bought back in 2008 only paid $780 for it at my LGS, still have it with all the cool little papers and tools that come with it. I carried it as an EDC as it was my first 1911 I ever bought. Well made, great details, and accurate as an original 1911. I guess my question for you is, what do you want to do with it? I shot mine plenty and as it does not have a lowered or flared ejection port, it will ding your brass. If you reload, this may be an issue for you. If you want it as a collectible piece, then to me it's worth the current price. If you want an everyday shooter, get something different.

#7 · (Edited)
That's normal for Colt back then. My O1918 has razer sharp edges and a over-polished spot on the slide showing like a dent at an angle. :rolleyes: I guess Colt try really hard to replicate imperfection of the original manual polished gun before computer age. Maybe that's a plus, not a negative. 🤬

I have not have any new Colts since CZ took ownership. So don't have comparison of new Colt 1911 vs. the old.

#8 ·
My O1918 had a sharp sliver of metal inside the slide that my finger found one day while cleaning and re-oiling it. Ouch!

• Wow
Reactions: Boge
#9 ·
I’ve got a pretty one I bought new that has cut me every single time I’ve shot it and cleaned it. I leave it in the boxes [white-blue and brown] and shoot safer Colts. I did have Colt send me better matched grips as the ones on my 1911 were way off. Guess thats where the saying about bringing a gun to a knife fight would work with mine. She’s sharp. Paid 960.00 in ‘08.

#12 ·
Oddly enough I don't get much in the way of hammer bite with my O1918. But then again I don't hold it like some modern shooter trying to grip it as high as possible.

Reactions: The Wizard
#13 ·
I'll be I guess the odd man out and say they are worth quite a bit IMO. I had a very late production one, Black Oxide in the higher of the s/n range, a few hundred from the end IIRC. One of the finest built Colt's I've ever seen. 2nd most satisfying 1911 I ever had next to a full-custom Novak. Really, really nice product.

I went looking for another one about a month ago and saw they were commanding good $$ but I can't say they are not worth it. I do know the dust cover issue was a thing back around then, but they did work it out at a point and it didn't affect all of them.

#14 ·
do you know what the high serial #s were ?

#17 ·
I have to check my box I have a black oxide. Thanks

#18 ·
Just in case anyone isn't already aware, the O1911 and O1918 were absolutely identical except for serial number range and finish used. Same markings, same features, same box and packaging. The "Carbonia" finish was a traditional furnace-blued finish applied by Ron's Gun Shop in PA, while the "black oxide" is just another name for a modern blued finish applied in a heated chemical bath and was done in-house at Colt.

#20 ·
They are nice re-issues of the original 1911. I was fortunate enough to get both the WWI and WWII re-issues even though IIRC the WWII came out first.

Attachments

#21 ·
I had one of the WW2 repros once. I replaced the parts that looked wrong (trigger, slide stop, hammer) with actual Colt USGI pieces and it was a dead ringer for a 1942 Colt M1911A1. Then of course being the dumbass that I am I later sold it.

Reactions: KeysMIA
#22 ·
They are bringing (both issues) really good money here in the commonwealth. If and when you actually see one for sale which is few and far between. Wait another ten years and these high end scammers (if there is such a thing) will be trying to pass them off as originals. 😣 😣

#23 ·
Actually last year or so there was a scammer on Gunbroker who advertised either a WW1 or a WW2 replica as an original. There was a thread on it here. Unfortunately the search function of this new forum software sucks so bad I can't find it.

#24 ·
I remember that now that you mention it. My guess is that we will see more of that as time goes by.

#25 ·
I find them to be of high quality, better than the average Colt. I love them.

An ANVIII and the Carbonia Blue! Both are stunningly gorgeous IMO.

Attachments

Reactions: KeysMIA
#27 ·
Just in case someone might not know how to access that information:
The following models sold after March 2007 are affected by the recall, which will require replacement of the Slide Lock Safety, the Recoil Spring Guide Pad or both:

•1911 WWI Replica (O1911) - 4597WMK to 5414WMK (safety)
•1918 WWI Replica (O1918) – 1001WWI to 3431WWI (safety)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.