1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at the WW1 anniversary model awhile back at a gun store but never bought it and regretted it ever since. I was waiting for the price to come down. He had 2 of them and they weren't selling. Went back one day and both were gone. Went back last week and just for the heck of it, I asked if he had any ww1 anniversary models. He said no but he had the ww1 black oxide with the ww1 serial number which I believe came out awhile before the anniversary model. Some guy left him a deposit awhile back and never came back. He had it tucked away in the back. He says he's going to try to contact him a few more times and if he's unsuccessful, it's mine. We agreed on a price and I left him $100 and just hope I get it. I actually like this one more than the anniversary model because of the roll marks. The white sleeve box it comes in is pretty beat up but the blue box and everything else is pristine. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Good luck and post up some pics when you can......black oxide...carbonia blue .....tier III were the WWI versions

·
Registered
23,175 Posts
You will love it. I bought one of the o1911 (WMK blue) pistols when they came out because my grandfather was in WWI. I was very impressed with the fit and finish and how well it shot if you can see the little sights. I ended up buying one of the o1918 (WWI black) pistols when they came out also. Again very nice. I got over it finally and did not buy an ANVIII. One thing to check is there was a minor recall on these for the later o1911 and early o1918 pistols. Details are on Colts website. My o1911 was too early and my o1918 was too late or S/N too high to be in the recall. And a picture.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx guys! I'm pretty excited. Didn't look at the serial number. I hope it's not one that has to go back. I really really want it! I don't wish any bad luck on the guy who left the deposit. He didn't pick it up for some reason. Dakota, you must be very proud of your grandfather. Respect all who served and are serving.

·
Administrator
73,009 Posts
I've had one for several years. It was affected by the recall, but I pointed it out to the gun shop prior to purchasing it, and I bought it after it had come back to them. Recently I swapped the grips for some Hogues as the originals were a bit too thick, and also the slide stop didn't quite look right for an M1911 (short thumb piece) so I bought Cylinder & Slide's repro and installed it.

Keep your fingers crossed and keep the money set aside... if the sale falls through there are more out there as long as you're patient and wait for one that isn't priced exorbitantly high.

·
Registered
174 Posts
These are great guns. For my next purchase, I was considering the TierIII vs the Wiley Clapp. WC won (this time). Commander.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I really like the WW1 replicas also. The Anviii is probably my favorite Colt in the safe. Especially after the trigger job that the ccs did on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been looking at the WW1 anniversary model awhile back at a gun store but never bought it and regretted it ever since. I was waiting for the price to come down. He had 2 of them and they weren't selling. Went back one day and both were gone. Went back last week and just for the heck of it, I asked if he had any ww1 anniversary models. He said no but he had the ww1 black oxide with the ww1 serial number which I believe came out awhile before the anniversary model. Some guy left him a deposit awhile back and never came back. He had it tucked away in the back. He says he's going to try to contact him a few more times and if he's unsuccessful, it's mine. We agreed on a price and I left him $100 and just hope I get it. I actually like this one more than the anniversary model because of the roll marks. The white sleeve box it comes in is pretty beat up but the blue box and everything else is pristine. Keeping my fingers crossed.
For a minute I thought you where talking about these

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

Accurate even with the small sights. :rock:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Those are some GREAT looking replicas! I really wish I'd have got one when they were available. It would save wear and tear on my original 1918 Colt.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Colt WW I Replica

I purchased the WW I and WW II models. Love them both. Put a set of Elephant Ivory grips on the WW II model - picture attached.

·
Administrator
73,009 Posts
Damn... I already have one, but you guys make me want to buy another! :rock:

·
Registered
7,291 Posts
I agree it's a gorgeous 1911!

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I was late to the ww1 repo party and only have the lowly anv tier 3 pistol. Im saving for a ww2 repo if they ever do one again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I really like the WW1 replicas also. The Anviii is probably my favorite Colt in the safe. Especially after the trigger job that the ccs did on it.
The reason I bought the WC vs the Tier 3 is because I couldn't get past the "2011" roll mark. I would love to find the first one Colt made. They are out there but prices rising. The WC has lots of extra goodies at a very fair price. I keep looking and as someone mentioned, it would be nice if Colt put out a WWII model again. It would sell. HAGO Mike

1 - 20 of 60 Posts