1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Allen,

Is there a web address to order and if so around how much?

Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by Allen Raiford:
Got my USGI surplus ammo today. 756 rounds total.
Came in a giant sardine can. From the writing on the box, I reckon it to be lend-lease stuff sent to our allies (Britain or Russia, I bet).
It came with a giant can opener. It was kinda cool knowing that I was about to open a box and view ammo that had not seen the light of day since 1942.
Hey Allen... Yeah, I bought 2, and shot a can of that, and kept the other sealed, just in case for SHTF. Figured if it lasted this long, then it'd probably be good for another 50 years. I didn't get a Can Opener from "Cheap than Dirt" with mine... That sucked, but a pair of Tin Snips easily cracked that puppy open.

My stuff was in tan cardboard, seperated by paper, and packed 21 to a box (naturally, 7 round mags), 36 boxes to a can.

It provided me with some good brass for reloading, just make sure you clean things up good, you shouldn't have any problems...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd be really interested to see how this shoots. Seems like genuine USGI .45ACP ball.

Let us know please.

Good luck. Hope they all go bang, 'cause I may see a can or two in my future if they do.

BTW, what kind of gun are you using and is it tolerant of ammo or picky?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It occurred to me, when I read how you sniffed the interior of the can, that your nearest university might have jumped at the chance to have some of that air.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Shot about 250rds of WW2 45ACP. Works great in my ColtS/S 80. Reloadable too!

I'm a X-Rigger Allen! Never forget the guys who packs the chute.(MOS.43E)

·
Registered
387 Posts
It is indeed USGI ball, manufactured by various contractors in 1941-42, from storage in France.

I have fired over 2000 rounds of it so far.

Shoots well, but a bit smokey, no flash. Brass cased, corrosive priming.
www.cheaperthandirt.com had it, as did J&G Sales.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
WWII USGI .45ACP ammo was loaded with corrosive mercuric primers. Be SURE to clean your pistol THOROUGHLY after shooting this ammo, and REPEAT the cleaning process 2-3 days later.

Some, more knowledgable shooters have said that the mercury will impregnate the brass cases and make them brittle. All I know is I have some .45 ACP brass dated '1914/FA' and it looks fine after MANY reloadings.

·
Registered
129 Posts
my dad had tons of that stuff laying around.
.45 and 30-06.
Shot a little and my mother garage-saled it a few yrs ago.
Never wanted to shoot it due to corrosive primers.
Hope you enjoy a little bit of history.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts