1911Forum banner

WW2 GI Beavertail upgrades

1751 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  tex45acp
I am looking to get a beavertail for my ww2 Gi. I definetly need one as my hand keeps getting chewed up by the tang of the Gi safety and frame. I know S&A make one with the .220 radius so I won't have the gap at the top, are there any other manufacturers that make beavertails with the palm swell that will fit the SA ww2 GI without having the very high Ed Brown hold? i don't want to chop that much of the frame!

http://www.precision-gunworks.com/TextDesc/Beavertail.htm
here is the link I was looking for, has anyone used any of the group 2 (wilson 298, clark or caspian) on a SA WW2 GI and how did it fit to the frame in terms of gaps and lining up? Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
877 Posts
Taz,

You did not specify what finish your gun was in, but I will guess it is parkerized. I had a WWII GI Champion that I looked at several drop in and those having to be fitted and chose to send the frame to SPringfield to have a parkerized beavertail fitted to the frame. I wanted to keep the parkerized frame and parts the same. It was the right thing to do and it turned out great. I could not have done a better job myself even if I had been able to fine a parkerized beavertail. If you decide to install it yourself you will have to modify the frame using a jig to get the radius' to match the beavertail and will have to have the frame re-parkerized somewhere anyway. Plus, they might have to weld up the back of the frame to get the radius coming off the top of the beavertail and the radius of the frame to match correctly.
Think about sending it to SA and have it done right, You will be much happier in the long run.
Here's what my Champion looks like now:

· Registered
877 Posts
Yes it is a very nice job Jammer. I now have a stainless Champion and have replaced the original grip safety with a Wilson. It came with a jig for filing and everything is working out fine. This is an older model (circa 1992), but new in box and never fired, and I wanted the beavertail style grip. I also like the raised pad at the bottom of the grip safety and the Wilson has it. I will post pics when I am through.

· Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Jammer! That looks really good! I will prob get the same one, but with the palm swell. It looks like the SA is the only one that will fit w/o welding up the tang. I read somewhere that the Wilson 298, Clark and Caspian will work w/o welding up the tang, but I didn't like the look of the Clark and Caspian ones that I saw, and no one commented back if the Wilson needed to be rewelded or not.

Guess its time to order the S&A! And the jig!

· Registered
335 Posts
When SA does the work...

Does it take like six months to get a part changed like a beavertail at the Springfield factory? Not sure if their custom shop has longer delays or if it's all the same with parts changes like a beavertail. Even though there's fitting involved (perhaps), it does not seem like true 'custom' work from SA.

· Registered
2,279 Posts
Call or email Deb in the custom shop and she will give you a very realistic idea of current wait times for the work you want to have done. I have found the Springfield Custom shop time estimates to be very close to actual times for delivery. The last quote I received was two months.

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,403 Posts
I've taken to cutting-down G.I.-style grip safeties to M1911 configuration, then bobbing the hammer to match. You're going to have to bob or change the hammer anyway, so give it a try. You'll remove the sharp edges, get a higher hold, and maintain that nice, G.I. look.

· Registered
877 Posts
Rick,

I had the sights put in at Springfield since the slide was there being reparkerized from the dehorning I did on it. The price was the same as at Novaks place. It took about 4 weeks for the sights and reparkerizing. It took about the same for the grip safety and reparkerizing the frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.