1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that a lot of folks here had bought a WW2 mil-spec, but I hadn't seen many follow-up comments after the initial glow of new gun purchase wore off.

I'll comment on mine a bit more in depth, since I've now owned it for a couple months and shot it frequently as well as let a few fellow shooters handle it. I'm happier with it now than when I bought it, which is saying a lot.

Like most new guns, it was a bit stiff out of the box. After about the first 250 rounds, everything loosened up nicely where it should. It's stayed stable for another 500. Fit frame to slide is still good, barrel lockup tight.

Groups at 7-10 yards are one ragged hole, whether in my hands or the local gun shop owner. His comment after firing it was "Damn, I need to start pushing these more."

It points and shoots exceptionally well, trigger has improved (and it was quite good to start with), and it's dead on up to 50m. I haven't done extensive shooting past that point, nor do I really plan to. I'll add I'm used to low military sights, so it's been a natural fit for me.

I've had NO FTF or jams. None. No problems with any mag that tested good by locking back the slide when empty. Every type of round I've fed through it came and went flawlessly.

My only complaint was how tight the grip screws were on the thing - I buggered one a bit getting the grip off to get at the excess packing oil/grease underneath, but it's a real minor quibble.

All in all I'm still very pleased with it a couple months down the road and see no reason why I won't be next year or a few years from now.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was going to get the WWII for $379 when I found a regular milspec for $399. I like the looks of the WWII better, but my 49+ year old eyes like the larger sights on the regular one better.
Either one is a great bargain!
I've only fired 50 rds thru mine, 225gr LTC, 5.5 gr Unique, CCI primers, mixed brass. I had the last round in a GI mag stovepipe.
Very tight gun, very good stock trigger.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I was able to put 70 rounds through mine over the weekend. It performed well, although the rear sight needs adjusting as I was shooting to the right the entire time.

I had one failure to feed and one stove-pipe which I attribute to the GI mags I was using. Other than that, it was fun and flawless.

WJR

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alanneb said:
does it dent or ding up fired cases ?
Commercial brass, yes. They can be resized.

Mil surplus, no.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the report. I just bought one this week end . A WWII model. I put 70 rnds through it today. It was flawless and shot dead on where I aimed. Point of aim that is. I was makeing several hits at 50 yards on a steel plate thats 6"x6" per 7 rounds mag. Had to really hold her still. I shot Hollow points ,Wad cutters, ball, and all functioned flawless. I got hit a couple of times with hot brass.I don't know where it hit something on the covered shooting station I was at or not. 3 of the mags I was useing was made in 1945. The other was a SA mag. all ran great. Cheers WarDawg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts