1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems to be a perennial question around here, so I picked up a couple pieces of brass after my range session the other day.

Both pieces are Winchester White Box, probably the bottom of the barrel as far as brass.

One is more beat up than others - it may have hit at an angle on impact on the rocks or maybe just wasn't as lucky.

In either case, nothing that a little resizing won't fix.

It's not like the WW2 mil-spec chew the brass into tiny pieces, and figured a photo might end at least a few of the never-ending questions.

·
Super Moderator
13,424 Posts
The brass got banged up hitting the ejection port during the ejection phase. That's why people have stock 1911s (Colts series 70, early 80, older SA milspecs) ejection port lowered. FYI, the new regular Milspec's ejection port is already lowered and doesn't damage the ejected brass.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To me, the dents in the images are not bad at all. I have an early Series 80 Colt's GM that came with the old style ejection port and made deep--and I mean deep!--dents in the brass. It was like the brass was thrown dead center into the edge of the port. I finally shipped the gun to Colt's, whose solution was to lower the port. Not meaning to criticize Colt's, but in my experience the brass gets through the lowered port in my Colt in about the same condition as the brass through an old style SA port. That's a plus for SA.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Those casings don't look bad at all, I've had worse that would still go thru the resizing Die without any extra attention.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That brass dose not look to badly damaged to me either. The nice thing about the WW11 slide is. If you do decide to have the ejection port lowered,or do it your self there is metal enough to work with. If and when I lower mine I will put in a scalloped cut so a live round can be ejected safely. Norinco#1

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the event of a jammed round, I drop the magazine anyway and just pull the slide back deliberately until it pops up then falls through the well.

Then I pop in another, in case the mag caused the problem.

It's only been practice drills so far, though, since I have yet to have any problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts