1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a SA WW2 yesterday at a show for 389. The dealer let me fieldstrip it down and check it out before purchase.I was impressed with the tightness of the fitted parts and of the frame to slide fit. All of my other 45s are colts but the prices have become rediculous in the past few years, resulting in purchases only of collectable or unusual ones. {yeah I know, thats why they cost more but I'm married to a woman now who likes fishin huntin and shootin and wanted a military rifle for her birthday. I have to make up forlost time} I Would like any input on these as I am seriously considering buying another for my son. his would be his second pistol {first is a ruger 22-45 hes getting for CHRISTmas}.He has shot 9,45,22, and 454 casull so he can handle the recoil. I cant even find used norinco around here for 350 or less and really try to stay away from commie stuff. I want all the good bad and ugly on these pistols as I dont want any surprises for my kid. I have gone thru all the posts on the ww2s here and from most of them I have gathered they are reasonably well liked. Pricewise seem the best going now, as most 45s from major makers are 700 to a grand now. I also want him to have the fun of being able to change some stuff on and gun and make it "his". Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I picked up a WWII Mil-Spec on 12/13/03 for $369 in Atlanta and have 350 rounds of ball through it so far. No failures of any kind and it's tight as can be.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
fxntime

I have a WWII Mil-Spec and it is a very nice pistol. Their prices in the Seattle area run from a low of $375 to $450, depending on the usual supply and demand issues. My pistol was fit together better than most 1911s I have seen, except for the other 5 SA WWII pistols my dealer had, which were nearly identical to mine, and it had a pretty good trigger pull for a factory trigger job. The down side of the good fit was that with the first 1000 rounds, at about every 250 rounds, I would need to lubricate or clean the pistol as powder fouling would slow the action. This is a lot less of an issue now, as the action is wearing in nicely. So far mine has fed everything I have put into it, and it is very accurate. At 30 ft, if I do my part right, my pistol will put every shot into the same hole; which is as good as my Kimber Gold Match. Another nice feature is the hammer is short enough that it does not bite, though the lower edges of the grip safety tang do need a little bit of beveling to take the edge off.

So my recommmendation is to get one for each member of your family.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Anyone shot armscor ammo? Bought 1000 rounds of it at the same show I bought my SF. 149.00. Anyone shot this stuff? Any good? Loded to 840 fps, 230 gr hardball. Brass cased. I will get another 1000 if I hear its ok stuff. At 7.50 a box I cant beat the price. The next lowest is usually [email protected] at about 9.50 a box. I bought about 2000 rounds of old us army match ammo dated 1969 2 shows ago but besides running 50 rounds thru my NM I sorta am keeping it as it was pretty darn accurate. I have yet to find more. It looked brand new as were the boxes. I have bought a lot of stuff from the dealer over th years and he said it had been released a year ago and it is gone for good. Best surplus stuff I have ever seen. Im going to burn 500 round this week thru and see how she shoots. One nice thing about living in country is I shoot in backyard. Closest state range only allows 1 round in gun at a time, Gets old realllly fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts