1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded for one earlier this week.
It was a trade-in, and the prior owner had the sights replaced with what appear to be King's Hardball fixed sights.
Due to that, the price was right, and I traded.
What the heck- It was priced the same as a Kimber next to it. Nothing against Kimber (I'm carrying one right now), but given the choice, it was easy.

As I looked it over at home, I realized that it reminded me of my first 1911. That one had very few mods beyond sights, and I've always missed that gun because I just liked the way it was set up.
This new Colt is "tighter", though. In fact, it's real tight. The trigger is OK. I need to weigh that.
I would guess it will shoot well.

And I will be shooting it. I would've already, but am sick with a cold-like nasty thing. I'd be coughing too hard to hit anything.

I was just wondering if anyone else had been shooting their's much, or on a regular basis.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have been in the past, but now that I've got a Government-length Kimber, I'm going to retire the Replica. For me, it shot quite well, and I liked the fit and trigger. On the other hand, the finish is delicate, and it pains me to let it get the inevitable scratches and wear.

·
Registered
190 Posts
To date, about 500 rounds through one of mine. Several people at the range who own them have asked to shoot it. I never refuse. A sneeking suspicion tells me that one or two of them decided afterward to move theirs from 'safe queen' to 'shooter' status. In all, it shoots no better or worse than a repro Series 70, but feels better in my hand. Maybe it's the smooth mainspring housing. I don't regret shooting it. That's what their for.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would actually say it is one of the best shooting 1911's I have. The funny thing is, I joke all the time, that my SA black stainless has all the bells and wistles and my WW1 repro is bear bones and it blows the SA black stainless away. The little front sights actually helps accuracy. A finer front sight means tighter groups. I love my colts.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.
I shot mine yesterday. At least one member of our family has had a cold-like sickness for two weeks now. My wife and I had it this week. Since my wife was off work, and I had a chance to rest up, I went off to the woods and shot. Seemed reasonable.

I just shot a few different types of ammunition that was on hand, shooting for groups and to check point of impact. I fired 49 rounds total, and had a couple of rounds fail to fully chamber. A tap on the magazine caused the slide to close both times.

Hammer bite: I've had other "early-type" 1911s, but none in this exact configuration with short tang and wide hammer. After I finished the first magazine, I got my roll of duct tape and tore off a strip for my hand. The Colt bites a little.

While handling and shooting this gun, I get the urge to put on a campaign hat and shoot it one-handed. I resisted.

Here are the results, but keep some things in mind- I was sick as a dog, mine has more visible sights than standard, but they were not zeroed. All groups are 7 rounds; and fired two-handed, unsupported, at 15 yards. I yanked a few shots, and on the obvious ones, I measured groups with and without the wild ones.

Winchester USA 230 FMJ: 2-7/8" 5-1/2" low
Winchester USA 230 JHP: 2-1/2" 6" low
UMC 230 JHP: 4-1/8" (6 in 2-5/8") 5-1/2" low
Speer 230 Gold Dot: 3-5/8" 5" low
Federal 230 Hydra-Shok: 3-1/2" (6 in 2-7/8") 5" low
Handload- TiteGroup/230 Zero FMJ: 4-1/8" (6 in 2-5/8") 6-1/4" low
Handload- TiteGroup/230 Zero JHP: 2-3/4" (6 in 2-1/8") 6" low

Average for all groups: 3.35"
Factory ammo only: 3.23"
All ammo, but minus my flyers (4 of 49 rounds fired): 2.75"

Part of the reason for the low hits was me. I shot another 1911 that was zeroed, but I shot about 2" low with it yesterday. I told you I was sick.
Part of it was that the sights needed zeroed. They (King's Hardball) were installed, and left at that.

It will probably group a lot better, too. But it still did OK.

Would I stick it in a holster and carry it?
Well, I wouldn't carry any gun with so few rounds through it, nor with the sights in need of adjustment. But aside from that, yes, I would carry it.
I have others that I can shoot easier. I didn't say they were better, just easier to use. But one like this would sure do it's part.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I had the hammerbite problem with mine too. Changed out the grip safety with a standard 1991 and the problem went away. Also had to send mine back to Colt because of a hammer that didn't get hardened, but they made it right and it's still chugging along after 700 rounds, 500 of them yesterday.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I shoot mine on a regular basis. Normally go to an indoor range and take two guns. When the WWI replica goes to the range, it makes the trip on a sheepskin rug, I plan for it never to see a holster. When I take it to the range I shoot it first, so my eyes will be fresh enough to focus on the tiny sights. I like the gun, one of my favorite 1911's. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've run a few hundred through mine and have had great results so far -- accurate and well zeroed from the factory. No malfunctions to date, using an actual GI 2-tone magazine from WW1, with JHP, SWC and FMJ ammo plus LRN handloads. It's one of my favorite 1911's!

BKennedy, I'm curious to ask how your problem with the hammer that
didn't get hardened manifested itself, and in how many rounds?

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
337 Posts
After 200 rounds you could see the shape of the rear of the firing pin on the hammer. When you looked closer at it you could see that the firing pin was actually pushing up the metal on the hammer. After being told "the hammer hooks will go next" I sent it in. Problem fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts