1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I'm going to have a few extra dollars and I'm looking at the WWII Mil-Spec. The only thing I'm not especially happy with is the sight picture. I'd like to change out to a 3 dot. The rear sight obviously is dovetailed in, but how much trouble is it to change out the front sight? Can I do it myself? I've handled .45's but not done any gunsmithing on them.

Thanks,
jd1

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
The sights are changeable just like the standard Mil Specs.....

Have you already bought the WWII? If not maybe you'd prefer the standard Milspec, it already has high profile dot sights and the price difference would be less than having the sights changed yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
:biglaugh:

Good news for you, buddy!!! You're just looking at the wrong Mil Spec, like the last guy said. I just got a Mil Spec that came with standard high profile, white dot sights just like you want for $400.00. And you are correct in wanting these sights. It may not be WWII correct, but at the range it's sure easier to shoot well. I know what I'm talking about, as I have a RIA 1911 model with the correct, low-profile sights and they SUCK!!! Check out Springfield's website, both sights are offered & there are pics!

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
The WWII sights don't suck, I find them crisp and clean...... and better because there are no distracting dots. They are a far cry from the original G.I. sights your refering to steelerfan4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steelrfan4, where did you find one of the atandard Mil-Specs for $400? And do they have more. It'd be worth it to ship. They're $499 + tax here. I looked at one today. It's looking like it's worth it to buy the standard mil-spec because I'll wind up spending another $100 by the time I buy the sights I want and have a gunsmith install them.

jd1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mil Spec for $400

:)
JD1,
I got my $400.00 Mil Spec from Gander Mountain. This is not their regular price and I had to do some wheelin' & dealin'. But you should be able to get this price...I'll tell ya how. They have a lowest price guarantee where if you find a better price than theirs they'll match the price plus give you double the difference off up to $50. Their full price is $489.00 but Scheels Sporting Goods sells the Mil Spec for $449.00 regular price. The guy at Gander Mountain wasn't that thrilled with letting it go that cheap, especially since it's the only one they had in stock (I'm sure they'll get more). But that's how their lowest price guarantee works and I held them to it! Anyhow, that's how I did it. If you don't want to be bothered with that, my guess is you should at least be able to negotiate your way down to $425-$450 just by working with a local gun dealer. I don't think that most of the guys out there are paying any more than that. I think $500 is a bit pricey for a Mil Spec...that's getting closed to a stainless price. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Buds Gun Shop in KY has the milspec (PB9108L) on sale for $419 right now. Even though I just got a hi cap this week, I'm tempted to get a mil spec 'cause the price is right. Somebody hide my credit card from me! Never mind, I know the number by heart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info and the Gander Mtn. reference. I have a local dealer who will order one for $459. I think I can live with that. He says he can't sell them vs the WWII at $399. For the extra $60 it's worth it for the extra features that come on a standard mil-spec.

jd1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts