1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WWII Remington Rand questions from a noob. ***lots of pics***

Hi

I am very new to this site and new to 1911's. The basic reason I joined to try and figure out what I have. I picked up a Remington Rand 1911 with what I believe to be the original holster, mag and ammo. It came to be via an interesting story. The previous owner stated that it was brought back from Europe by her father; she was about 60 so I assume it was WWII. When I purchased it had what appeared to be mil spec ammo from the 40’s with one in the pipe. I believe it sat like that all these years.

I have been looking at different internet sites trying to figure out what I have, and there seems to be some differing information. I took it to a local gun shop for an appraisal which came back at $600. I do not believe it was accurate though.
I have taken a series of photos of the pistol, holster and magazine along with all the marking on the pistol. I would like to know the history and approximate value. I am not looking to sell it but I am curious to find out what I have. I would also like to know if the mag and holster are original.

What should I do with it? Clean it? If so how? Should I shoot it, should I replace springs?

ALL QUESTIONS ASKED IN THE REPLIES WILL BE ANSWERED HERE

There appears to be no finish on the feed ramp, and the left side of the barrel is it marked with a P at the lug
The barrel looks blued

There is no stamp or marking on the magazine and the back is not welded

Thank you

Chuck

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Not the best of pictures but looks pretty good(posted before second group of pics). It is a Type III Remington Rand best I can see. Nice holster. Value is probably twice your prior questimate but we need better and more detailed pics to give a better guess. Congrats.

Is their finish or bare metal in the feedramp? What are the barrel markings and is it the same finish as the pistol or is it DuLite blue?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SRV1

I looked over your post. I see a G on the top of the frame by the hammer. There is also a p on the inside of the frame, just above the trigger gaurd, like in your pics. The hand guard have the same star marking on the inside, and there is another P by the mag release

The only thing I see different is I do not have a checkered backstrap.

Still not sure what all this means though ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nice looking original type 3 Remington Rand. Serial number dates to 1944 manufacture. Looks to have late Keyes Fibre grips (probably a star with a "K" along with a mold number on the back side), 8 groove RR MSH, HS (High Standard) barrel, along with late slide stop. About the only exception to originality would be the pinned based full blued magazine which would correctly belong to a Colt manufactured 1911a1. The correct magazine for your Remington Rand would be the one manufactured by General Shaver. These will have a "G" stamp on the upper toe. Keep in mind, during war who cares who made the magazine as long as it worked!!!! I'd say the value for the entire rig including the holster would be $1,500 - $1,600.

The holster is a WW2 era manufactured shoulder holster. The holsters seem to fetch $90 - $130 on ebay.

That's my .02$ worth.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Let me regroup on the magazine........is there a letter such as "L", "R", or "S" on the upper toe? I'm not seeing a welded back side or the best I can make out from the photos so with that in mind that would illuminate it from being a General Shaver.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What a great find! Consider yourself very lucky. If others are like me, we all troll the VFW halls with big signs saying "Will pay cash for 1911s!" If you haven't already, I'd re-connect with the seller to get as much info on her dad's service as she's comfortable providing (units, locations, decorations, etc). The more of this "provenance" you can put together for a weapon, the more interesting...and oftentimes the more value is placed on the weapon itself...especially a wartime rig like yours in such great condition...and even better if you can find a photo or other evidence of its wartime use.

Thanks for posting and for all the pics. Good pics along with the expert commentary here helps all us novices learn more about this disease we all seem to have...

MO

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
SRV1

I looked over your post. I see a G on the top of the frame by the hammer. There is also a p on the inside of the frame, just above the trigger gaurd, like in your pics. The hand guard have the same star marking on the inside, and there is another P by the mag release

The only thing I see different is I do not have a checkered backstrap.

Still not sure what all this means though ;)
Read the thread, it explains the checkered MSH. Your MSH is correct though.

James

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
So here is the story of how I got this gun.

I am sure you are all aware of what a gun buy-back is-where the police set a day that people can turn thier unwanted guns in for cash. This is done under the guise of 'getting guns out of criminals hands and off the streets'. The truth is no criminal turns a gun in, its nothing but older women who are widowed trying to get rid of husbands or dads old shot gun.

So up here in sunny Detroit, a group of like minded 2nd amendment and (generally) open carry supporters stand out in front of where ever these gun buybacks are with signs offering to look at and purchase what is being turned in.
We usually pay at least double what the police offer and sometimes more. Last weekend I think we purchased 30 firearms and 25 were turned in. As I am sure you can imagine this is not taken very well by the police, but we make sure we follow all the proper laws, and are respectful of the folks trying to get rid of a gun. I think most of the police understand what we are doing and accept it, even if they do not personally approve of it.

As for my 1911, an older lady pulled up to me and I asked her if she wanted to get rid of a gun. I explained that we were collectors and that I would like to see what she had. I told her that this was all legal, showed my carry permit and the registration paperwork.

I opened the grocery bag that had the 1911, and cleared it (one in the chamber!) and told her that it was valuable, but I did not know how much. I explained a bit of the history and offered $200 which she accepted (that was 4x more than the buy-back offer). She told me that her father who died decades ago brought it back from the war in Europe and it had been sitting in his home until he died. Her name is on the paperwork but it is a common name and I don't have a phone number so I probably will not be able to track her down.

Here is a link to the facebook page for the buyback
https://www.facebook.com/events/441726062599358/444563208982310/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity
http://www.ammoland.com/2013/11/detroit-area-activists-turn-firearm-buy-back-event-into-a-gun-show/#axzz2kZEcRhNl

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
It's just unbelievable that this would have otherwise been sent to the crusher. Good save!

OTOH, I have a gun in my safe I have been saving just in case some idiots locally try to do the same thing. It's a old single-shot 22 rifle pre '65 (or whatever year it was) with no serial number that bubba butchered but good.

Can't wait to get $100 for it.

p.s. wanna double your money? ha ha

1 - 20 of 30 Posts