1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to turn 60, but still love to learn. I am the proud owner of a Colt 1911 manufactured in 1941, which was handed down by my great uncle, who still lives at 102. Hence, my affinity for 1911s. When I first was able to afford a high dollar 1911, I bought a Kimber Custom, which I traded in for an Ultra Carry II. I carried it for years, but then became able to afford other 1911s. I purchased a Kimber Super Carry Ultra + and a Super Carry Custom HD. My wife hijacked my SCU+, so I decided to take the plunge and bought an X-TAC. Late last week, I was browsing Gunbroker, and fell in love with a two-toned Protector. It's on order from a Master Dealer in Illinois, and should be here Tuesday.

Well, in my dealings with John, he let me know he has several Wilsons on order, and could change the specs to my preferences, in case I wanted a true, custom build. Of course this started the wheels a turning, and leads to the subject of this thread.

What I would like to know from and learn by Wilson "old timers," is exactly why a Supergrade, etc, is so much better than an X-TAC or Protector to justify the extra expense. Honestly, I don't see the difference in looks, and can't imagine the operation being that much better, based on my experience with the X-TAC. I would love to hear from the guys who have owned/shot all grades of Wilsons to explain the difference. I could perhaps afford a $6,000 pistol, but don't want to spend that money just to say I own a Supergrade. I'm not the kind of guy who will stick a pistol in the safe, pulling it out on occasion to admire it and/or show it off to buddies. From what I have seen from reading this forum, I can rely on you guys and gals to shoot straight with me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I never had a bit of problems with either of my Kimbers. I know they are reputed to have some reliability issues, but I never experienced any. Still, I had to "scratch the Wilson itch."

Thanks all. I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well dang, after posting this I had the pleasure of experiencing the photos of a SG in Birdy's sticky. Pictures worth a 1000 words? That gun is totally too pretty to shoot.

I would still welcome comments.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
I don't have a SG yet, but I will be ordering one soon. From what I've read, and part of what has contributed to my decision to get one, is that they are not any better than the others operationally - just honed, polished, and fit with a little more TLC. Is this enough to justify the cost? To some the answer is no, to others (like me) the answer is yes. When going the SG route, I think it is more about having that few more percent closer to "perfection" in a 1911, and everyone has their own take on whether a "pretty" gun should be shot or not. My Baron Blued CQB gets shot, and gets holstered, which would make some cringe, but I don't own safe queens. The same will be true of my SG when I get it - it will get shot often. Just my own point of view, but why have as perfect a 1911 as possible and not shoot it (it designed purpose)? BTW, I still shoot my Kimbers a lot too, and never have had any functional or accuracy problems with any of them, so a few have gone to family members as I increase my Wilson count. The Wilson's are just so smooth, it makes me want to get a few more and shoot the heck out of them before I get too old to do so.

Hope this perspective helps.

G50

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Good post Grandpas50, just thinking how AC would respond. I can guarantee he would say with finesse and class that the SG is not worth the extra $$$$.

Me I have bought and sold 17ish Wilsons and have worked my way up to the SGs and now I can't go back because I'm to shallow too. This sickness has/does lead me to having the best or close to the best 1911s on the market today. I love a Supergrade. Is the joke on me? Probably. What Harley do you have? The answer may lie there. Do you have to have the best of the best or is a Sportster okay because it's "awesome enough".

Think ahead if not getting the best of the best (Supergrade) would not bug the hell out of you don't get it buy lots of ammo and don't look back. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If your thinking about a SG now, you are eventually going to get 1.
I couldnt tell the difference between my CQB and SG at first, but now I can (not in function or accuracy)
Go ahead and spend the xtra $1600 or so, you will be content and happy, and probably sleep alot better LOL

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts
OP, I own 4 1911s now: Wilson, Turnbull, Kimber, Sig...They are all great guns in their niche and price point. (I could never understand the small majority of shooters who want to say one is better than the other in an absolute sense).
When I wanted to buy my first Wilson, I was willing to pay "almost" any price. I spoke to the sales rep at Wilson, who was super honest and open, and I didn't walk away with anything "tangible" about the Supergrades as far as shootability. Believe me, if there was any evidence they shoot better, I'd been happy to pay up for one (almost anything that helps me be a better shooter is a-ok for me). All the 5” guns have the same 1” @ 25 yard guarantee. I'm thinking that the SG cost is mostly reflected in "trim" – which is fine for those were that extra intangible in looks are important.
I did opt for the Tactical Elite, which is probably the next highest price point below the SG. Why? Because it has the heavy flanged barrel which is a tangible benefit when shooting at speed (esp. a 45acp). I experienced this big time vs. my other 1911s. (If the SG had some “gizmo” which might enhance my shooting over the TE I would have purchased one. But it was the Tactical Elite which did it for me). I enjoy it so much, I have a second TE due any day now.
As always, different strokes for different tastes.

Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for responses.

Good post Grandpas50, just thinking how AC would respond. I can guarantee he would say with finesse and class that the SG is not worth the extra $$$$.

Me I have bought and sold 17ish Wilsons and have worked my way up to the SGs and now I can't go back because I'm to shallow too. This sickness has/does lead me to having the best or close to the best 1911s on the market today. I love a Supergrade. Is the joke on me? Probably. What Harley do you have? The answer may lie there. Do you have to have the best of the best or is a Sportster okay because it's "awesome enough".

Think ahead if not getting the best of the best (Supergrade) would not bug the hell out of you don't get it buy lots of ammo and don't look back. Good luck.
The Harley analogy is a good one. I have a StreetGlide, which is a middle grade as they go. I did not spend the money on a Screamin Eagle version, but I did spring for a custom paint job. Basically, my StreetGlide provides a very comfortable ride, looks great and has several nice bells and whistles.

Don't get me wrong---I would love a SG, and at some point will probably take the plunge. The photo post really answered my question. It's amazing how much TLC those guys put into each SG.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Harley analogy is a good one. I have a StreetGlide, which is a middle grade as they go. I did not spend the money on a Screamin Eagle version, but I did spring for a custom paint job. Basically, my StreetGlide provides a very comfortable ride, looks great and has several nice bells and whistles.

Don't get me wrong---I would love a SG, and at some point will probably take the plunge. The photo post really answered my question. It's amazing how much TLC those guys put into each SG.
I always wanted a Street Glide, but I hate taking care of bikes..Congrats

What would the total screamin eagle package cost to that bike? Compared to a paint job?

We know how much extra the supergrade would be.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Screamin Eagle upgrade is probably $2000 or better. I actually did not get a total paint job. The stock paint on my bike was a deep red, almost maroon, which subtle gold metal flake which you could see only in sunlight. I had my guy strip off the clear coat, then apply gold metal leaf in sort of an inverted Nike swoosh. The end result is gorgeous, and it's one of a kind. I did some bartering with my guy, so it really did not cost anything.

Unlike you, I love taking care of the bike, from cleaning/polishing to simple mechanics such as oil changes. My bike is immaculate, as are my pistols. I sure would like to polish up a SG!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, in my dealings with John, he let me know he has several Wilsons on order, and could change the specs to my preferences, in case I wanted a true, custom build. Of course this started the wheels a turning, and leads to the subject of this thread.
John was certainly able to help me out on my quest for a Supergrade.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guess I fit the mold. I have some Supergrades and an Ultra.
Well, an Ultra in and of itself is not akin to a SG-it's just a larger bike which I personally did not want because my bride has her own StreetGlide, and I never ride two up. Do you have the stock Ultra, or the Screamin Eagle version? Actually, the Harley/SC analogy is a bit flawed, as a Screamin Eagle, with its larger motor, actually performs better than a stock Harley. I'm not sure how much better, if any, a SG shoots than say, an X-TAC. You certainly could elaborate on that.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I worked my way up to a Ultra Limited, then customized the crap out of it and had some motor work done. It'll run circles around a Screamin' Eagle Ultra, and I think it looks better too.

Likewise, I started with lower model 1911s, worked my up to Wilson, and now have a Supergrade on order.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm looking hard at the Tactical Elite, per Combat Auto's recommendation. Heck, I've only shot 200 rounds through my X-TAC because I'm having a completely custom shoulder rig made for it. The maker wants it to be perfect, and wanted to keep the pistol during the making. I'll get it Tuesday.

My Protector should be in Wednesday. You don't hear much about that model, but it sure is a good looking pistol.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Screamin Eagle upgrade is probably $2000 or better. I actually did not get a total paint job. The stock paint on my bike was a deep red, almost maroon, which subtle gold metal flake which you could see only in sunlight. I had my guy strip off the clear coat, then apply gold metal leaf in sort of an inverted Nike swoosh. The end result is gorgeous, and it's one of a kind. I did some bartering with my guy, so it really did not cost anything.

Unlike you, I love taking care of the bike, from cleaning/polishing to simple mechanics such as oil changes. My bike is immaculate, as are my pistols. I sure would like to polish up a SG!!!
Thanks..Good to know..

I rent a bike on the weekends when it is nice. Make it a whole lot easier for me, LOL

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm about to turn 60, but still love to learn. I am the proud owner of a Colt 1911 manufactured in 1941, which was handed down by my great uncle, who still lives at 102. Hence, my affinity for 1911s. When I first was able to afford a high dollar 1911, I bought a Kimber Custom, which I traded in for an Ultra Carry II. I carried it for years, but then became able to afford other 1911s. I purchased a Kimber Super Carry Ultra + and a Super Carry Custom HD. My wife hijacked my SCU+, so I decided to take the plunge and bought an X-TAC. Late last week, I was browsing Gunbroker, and fell in love with a two-toned Protector. It's on order from a Master Dealer in Illinois, and should be here Tuesday.

What I would like to know from and learn by Wilson "old timers," is exactly why a Supergrade, etc, is so much better than an X-TAC or Protector to justify the extra expense. Honestly, I don't see the difference in looks, and can't imagine the operation being that much better, based on my experience with the X-TAC. I would love to hear from the guys who have owned/shot all grades of Wilsons to explain the difference. I could perhaps afford a $6,000 pistol, but don't want to spend that money just to say I own a Supergrade. I'm not the kind of guy who will stick a pistol in the safe, pulling it out on occasion to admire it and/or show it off to buddies. From what I have seen from reading this forum, I can rely on you guys and gals to shoot straight with me.

In the interest of full disclosure, I never had a bit of problems with either of my Kimbers. I know they are reputed to have some reliability issues, but I never experienced any. Still, I had to "scratch the Wilson itch."

Thanks all. I look forward to hearing from you.[/QUOTE

Life is short, if you can get a supergrade, get it, I own a TSG compact and wouldn't change a thing and it's far from a safe queen. What makes it better than my other wilson's etc? Is it the perfect trigger? The absolute perfect craftsmanship? Attention to detail? Hand fit and finish by superior pistolsmiths? Never a FTF? The way the mag release feels when operated, the way the safety engages and disengages, the way the slide feels when cycled, the absolute insane accuracy? Knowing its the best Wilson can produce or that can be produced? It's not any one of these things but a combination of all of them, it's not just about spitting lead out of a tube as we all know or we would just shoot glocks:scratch: My other wilsons do everything my SG does, but my SG just does it a little bit better and I shoot this pistol best. Is it worth the uptick in price.. absolutely, and it will scratch your Wilson itch with a sledge hammer:) I trust my life to that gun and have chosen it above all others currently available on the planet. I'm worth the money and so are you:rock:

·
Premium Member
13,941 Posts

Thanks all. I look forward to hearing from you.[/QUOTE

Life is short, if you can get a supergrade, get it, I own a TSG compact and wouldn't change a thing and it's far from a safe queen. What makes it better than my other wilson's etc? Is it the perfect trigger? The absolute perfect craftsmanship? Attention to detail? Hand fit and finish by superior pistolsmiths? Never a FTF? The way the mag release feels when operated, the way the safety engages and disengages, the way the slide feels when cycled, the absolute insane accuracy? Knowing its the best Wilson can produce or that can be produced? It's not any one of these things but a combination of all of them, it's not just about spitting lead out of a tube as we all know or we would just shoot glocks:scratch: My other wilsons do everything my SG does, but my SG just does it a little bit better and I shoot this pistol best. Is it worth the uptick in price.. absolutely, and it will scratch your Wilson itch with a sledge hammer:) I trust my life to that gun and have chosen it above all others currently available on the planet. I'm worth the money and so are you:rock:
Wow, you have certainly brought out some very important positives for the SG...Of the list, the two most important to me are the "Never a FTF" and the "Accuracy".

Can you quantify these:
No FTFs: How many rounds total, and what kind of amo have you used?

Accuracy: your best ever group at 25 y and if it was standing hand held or bench?

I appreciated it. I keep trying to talk myself into a SG but haven't been able to yet (and only if they can do a TE-SG [I don't see it on thier list]) .

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have shot 1200 rds of Federal 230 gr FMJ, 300 rds Sellier & Belliot 230 gr FMJ, 300 rds Federal Hyrda shock 230 grn.

This gun was finished in the end of october and my friend and I have shot the snot out of it. He is more of a target shooter than I and he achieved 2" at 25 yds resting the gun on ammo boxes. Not bad out of a 4'' gun. Its all in the trigger

·
Registered
546 Posts
Honestly I was set on a cqb elite and the I listed all my options out and by the time I decide what I did and didnt want I wasnt too from supegrade price so I thought I will love a cqb elite and it would suit me just fine. I knew then a supergrade was what was going to happen. Basically im trying to say. I just went for it. So instead of 4000+ on a cqb elite and then wishing it was a supergrade I ordered a supergrade and will never have to wish it was a cqb elite.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts