1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, merry Christmas everyone.
anyhow, i was thinking of what i should get myself for Christmas. like "what would be the PERFECT new handgun?" i already have a springfeild 1911 9mm (w/novaks), and i love it. the only things i would change would be the weight (just too darn heavy for carry, mabey HK type polymer?), make it thinner (no thumb safety?) and make it a 4.25 commander. i realised that is actually pretty close to the XD. so my question is this.. is it possible to lighten the trigger on the XD, or perhaps more ideally remove the trigger safety all together? (and before all the safety guys start screaming at me, the grip safety would more than suffice to ensure no AD's, and proper training is better than 3 or 4 or 5 levers that have parts to break, so save it!!!) i have never seen the internals of the XD, so im just guessing here, but removing the trigger safety would lighten up the trigger a lot, right?? and if anyone can post a cutaway view or link of the XD it would be most helpful. regards.

· Registered
40 Posts
Haven't seen the insides of xd, but i assume the trigger safety is only a mechanical block to block the trigger.
There's a firing ping safety?
I think it does a lot more to the trigger pull than the trigger safety?
Someone correct me please...

· Registered
1,441 Posts
You can't go wrong with the XD. I recently purchased a XD9 Service. Once the holiday season is over, it will be sent to www.canyon-creek.com Rich (gunsmith and owner) is one of the premier XD "tuners". His trigger jobs are fantastic. He pretty much removes the LONG pre-travel. The break is super clean and the reset is fast. Follow-up shots are a breeze. It's as close to a 1911 trigger as you can get. You honestly won't feel the safety system at work. It won't even get in the way.
I've posted this on other sites but here's me with a fellow XD owner's gun with a Canyon-Creek trigger job. As you can tell it's pretty damn light WITH the working safety system.
http://media.putfile.com/100_04707664

· Registered
1,237 Posts
I've had a XD 40 for almost 4 years now. First off the Trigger is far better on the XD than any other striker fired pistol I have seen. The trigger safety has no effect on trigger pull what so ever. The trigger safety only need you finger to touch it to allow the trigger to be pulled.

To improve the XD trigger,one of the best things you can do is dry fire it a bunch. The sear will slick up the striker over time. I know some guys that have used lapping compound on the sear and stikers surfaces to help slick them up. I use polishing compound on a felt polishing wheel. This will get your trigger pull down to a respectable carry weight. You can go a step further buy polishing the areas where the trigger bar touch and move.

I think there is a tagged thread on www.hs2000talk.com

You really can not go wrong with the XD for the money. Esp since now they have the XD coming in 45 acp in jan.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think once i get one ill try that, or mabey just get the springfeild custom shop to do it for me. probably opt for the 4.5 lb "combat" trigger mods. either way, someone should make a polymer 1911 9mm single stack in commander length so we dont always have to compromise between weight and 1911 feel. though i love my gun, 40 oz is just too much to carry. thanks for the advice, definatly will give it a try before sending it away. regards, A2

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Removing the trigger lever safety won't change the trigger pull, or alllmmooosssttttt not. It will be the exact same pull, but without a first very small and very light spring takeup in the first millimeter of the pull. Totally negligible. Better off just leaving it there, seriously. The safety spring is lighter than the takeup resistance, so when shooting, you won't even feel it, be it there or not. Tahts one of the nice features of that safety, it's totally non obstructive, just like the grip safety.

Theres not much info on how to perform solid trigger jobs on XDs, and not much parts available. A good polishing job can do wonders to smooth any firearm up, and overtravel and takeup adjustments make a nice difference in lots of cases too. You can also just shoot the crap out of it, couple of hundred rounds will smooth the trigger up in most guns.

If you want a trigger job on your XD, have it done at Springfield custom shop, or at Canyon Creek like mentionned above.

The internals of the XD are more complicated than a Glock, and it's a bit harder to detail strip it (feild stripping is actually easier). Theres a couple of roll pins I don't like much, but nothing real bad.

Happy shopping, and merry chrismas to you too!

Alex.

· Registered
4,702 Posts
I agree with FreeAmerican. I chose to just shoot mine. It gets better in just a few hundred rounds. And like someone else said. It's got the best trigger of its type from the factory. I am completely happy with my trigger just the way it is. Shoot it some and enjoy it. You may have the same conclusion.

· Registered
4,702 Posts
Breech- I do agree that travel could be a factor for some. I probably have 1500 or so rounds through my XD, and I swear the trigger just keeps getting better. I round out my cleaning of that gun with Gunslick black graphite grease to striker and sear. It seems to do a good job. I can't say enough about XD's in general.

· Registered
265 Posts
+3 on Rich at Canyon Creek. It may not be a 1911 trigger but after he works his magic on the XD it is darn close.

· Registered
420 Posts
Canyon Creek....

Rich does all the aforementioned trigger work, but with the safeties intact. He also does his trigger job differently than the Custom shop does, IMHO it is much better........I would support Rich, as he is a shooter and supports the shooters as well. Nothing wrong with the Custom shop job, and if that is what you want, go for it, but Rich will do you right! DougC

· Registered
1,217 Posts
Going on 3 years with two XD-40's; one for me & one for Momma. I carry mine on duty, and it has been shot a whole bunch more; maybe 3000 rounds. Neither have given us any problems. Our son also has one in 9mm, that has never choked wither.

In olden times, when you took up a new weapon, the burden to master that weapon was on the user. Every gun is different, and each of them have their own little nuances. The price of a trigger job will buy a lot of ammo, and if you use it to slick that trigger you will be one heck of a lot better shot when it's gone.

The XD is a good pistol, but keep in mind that SFA is not selling any spare parts for it. Also keep in mind that it is generally a bad idea to deactivate any safety device on any firearm.

But it's your gun.

· Registered
735 Posts
The most important mod for the XD is to have it painted. Macs Shootin' Iron Restoration did my slide, barrel and all slide associated parts for all of about $60 and shipping the slide wasn't much $ either. This will solve your potential corrosion worries.

You might get a Dons guide rod set up, to avoid SA's expensive recoil spring, which has had some failures.

I would not get a trigger job on the XD for a carry gun. I have an XD with a trigger job (~2.5 lb) done by Rich at Canyon Creek for my USPSA competition gun, and it works great for that. Based on Barsto's results (listed at HS2000 and XD forums) with their experiments with XD trigger jobs, the sear and striker are not hard enough steel to give me confidence that a 4 lb job would hold and not slip to a lower pull. The trigger is the only "safety" :rolleyes: there is on these things, so I personally wouldn't risk messing with it. XD triggers work fine as is for carry guns IMO.

The stock XD sights are good. I've had Heinie straight-8 put on the service modle, and Dawson adjustable fiber optics on my Tactical and to be honest, I think the stock three-dots worked just as well for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.