1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've thrown out the question. Any advice or opinions? This will be my second auto pistol. My first was a FEG PA-63 (looks like a Walther PP in 9x18 makarov). Both the XD (in 40 cal) and WWII cost around $400-and-some-bucks at my dealer.

I know this may seem a little like sacriledge (or however it's spelled) on a 1911 forum, but I'm a bit of an iconoclast ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Get the WWII while they're still making them the way they are for as cheap as they are. Then if you still want a plastic pistol, get a Glock ;)

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
The XD is a great gun. They are natural pointers, have great ergonomics in other respects, and are utterly reliable.

While the WWII Milspec is wanted by many for nostalgic purposes, it lacks some of the features that can be had on the standard Milspec that are desirable for practical shooting, like larger sights and a lowered and flared ejection port.

I would suggest the XD.

·
Registered
183 Posts
No challenge for me either. I own a 1911 (not a mil spec) and an XD. Best of both worlds!;)
Dave

·
Registered
352 Posts
JimNEPA said:
Okay, I've thrown out the question. Any advice or opinions? This will be my second auto pistol. My first was a FEG PA-63 (looks like a Walther PP in 9x18 makarov). Both the XD (in 40 cal) and WWII cost around $400-and-some-bucks at my dealer.

I know this may seem a little like sacriledge (or however it's spelled) on a 1911 forum, but I'm a bit of an iconoclast ;)
what do you want to do with it? If it's just to plink at the range, maybe a competition or two, the XD and it's cheap .40 ammo allow you to practice more often. However, the .45 is a proven fight stopper. I own 2 1911's, and the only reason why I'm looking at Sigs every so often is because 9mm ammo is so cheap. However, to defend my life, it'll be that .45 on my nightstand. Always.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's no reason why you shouldn't own both an XD and a 1911. The XD40 that I own is a fantastic shooter. Don't limit yourself to just one gun. Keep buying and buying and buying. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1SG82ABN:

Oh, I want to.... but my next gun will either be an M1A or a Ruger Ranch Rifle. That'll take a lot of scrimping, though. Maybe I'll compromise and get a single action cowboy gun instead for the helluvit.

But NOT until my WWII gets here!

:cool:

·
Registered
479 Posts
XD and WWII are both great pistols...

But, I have had to do absolutely nothing to my XD9mm and have customized my WWII pistols to work better in my hands.

I had to adjust the grip safety and attach new grips. (walnut double diamonds) I also added WWII GI style hammers (which are easier on my thumbs).

I also had to take a dremel and polish all the sliding surfaces with either a brissel or cloth tips. This got the action working alot better and made the trigger pull a tiny bit cleaner.

none of this had to be done to my XD, and it fits like a glove. The sights are dead on and easy to see. It is a 9mm, so using 40cal XD mags in it give me 15rds to shoot.

To each their own, but, I can't stand Glock. They just don't fit.

-Warlock

·
Registered
550 Posts
well, i would buy the xd for some thing different. change is good. i really like mine and really dont shoot it as much as i would like. the xd is excellent value for under 500 smackers. not that anyone cares but i do prefer my glock's over my xd though...but going to shoot my xd a lot this month. need to get done with the break in ...

sounds like you want some thing different and the xd fits the bill. it has some 1911 features. i do like the feel of my hand when holding the xd......good luck in your decision!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts