Votes: 62 44.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Son in Law is looking to buy one of them. I have an XDM that I never would have bought had someone not needed money. Now that I own it I find its a great gun and I actually shoot it all the time. It also carries well. It is a great gun. Why would I get a Glock instead and which would you choose?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did not like the feel of the XD series pistols I held when looking for my first 9 mm. The Glocks and M&P series just felt right to me and I bought a G17, after 500+ rounds so far without a single hint of a problem I would lean to the Glock.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
I like the Glock more. Personal preference...I can teach an absolute rube to break either one down, how to polish the trigger bar, replace the disconnector, springs, and I've smoothed a buddies G17 out to a sweet and smooth 5 pound and 1 ounce trigger. Would have been nice and he'd have not purchased it for almost seven hundred bucks at a gunshow..."But Matt, it's OD green!" Yes, I am coming out of the closet...earth tones, greens, browns, and tans belong on my Carhartt and Gravel gear work pants and that fellow destined to get pancaked by a four wheeler as he's hiking down a trail to John Denver and munching on trail mix that he bought at Whole Foods...not on my damn guns. Nothing is ever going to make a Glock, XD, or M&P sexy in this life or the next.

I like that with a 3rd gen Glock which I can still buy new I can do an amazingly easy grip reduction and retexture and it removes the finger grooves (daddy don't like no Austrian telling him where to put his fingers on his gun). Aftermarket parts, accessories, adaptability. I've tried the M&P and I will keep it but it took a lot more money to get the same trigger that I can on a Glock with a tactile (read that as you, the baker, candlestick maker, and your unborn descendents will know that sucker has reset)

Now some people dislike the lack of any sort of external safeties. Many will blame this for the dreaded "Glock Leg" this is a load of Horse-Hockey to quote Colonel Sherman T. Potter. Glocks and other soundly made arms of quality manufacture do not just simply "go off" meaning that when someone shoots his own ass off with a Glock it's because he screwed up. Is this a defect or perhaps a sign that people are nay to bray? I think of it as mother nature sneaking into our tech-driven world and marking the stupid and the careless so the rest of us know to give them a wide berth.

A lot of folks like the XD line because of the grip safety and as far as I am concerned it's the only thing I don't like about 1911s. Yeah, people like to point out how safe it is but frankly what makes the gun safe is you not putting your damn finger on the damn trigger when you damn well should not. I don't see it as accident proofing a gun so much as I see it as a sort of people proofing (admittedly the grip safety on the 1911 in the cavalry days makes absolute sense but I for one do not ride my shetland into battle so really the grip safety makes utterly no sense to me on a modern gun, especially one with a striker block but this is also personal opinion. Some people like to have that extra layer of security and some of us do not.

If your son in law likes the Glock and you like the XDm then I still think you can get along. Pepsi and Coke, Black versus White, same old song and dance.

·
Administrator
74,010 Posts
Another vote for the Glock 19, at least a Gen4. I'm not as enamored of the 3rd gen and earlier due to the way they fit my hand.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
Another vote for the Glock 19, at least a Gen4. I'm not as enamored of the 3rd gen and earlier due to the way they fit my hand.
So not a fan of epoxy and belt sanders then?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Of the two, I'd go with an XDM simply because I hate the feel of a Glock.

But I'd take an M&P over either of them, personally.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Glock is a bonafide classic. However, some folks dont like the grip angle, which IS a deal breaker for many. As always, its simply a matter of preference. If either gun can be shot proficiently by the shooter Glock has the edge in aftermarket support, mags, weight, track record, simplicity, etc.

Dont rule out the M&P or the Walther PPQ/PPX.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
If you like something that's actually ergonomic, the XDm is the way to go. If you like the status quo, Glock is the way to go. I chose the XDm, because the Glock just felt like I was holding a plastic brick due to the shape of the grip. Haven't had any issues with the XDm.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Glock started it all with their design, using polymer, etc... Not too soon afterwards, "EVERYOBODY" and their momma copied the same format, some added additional safeties, etc etc but deep down inside all others are just emulators. You can't beat the Glock 19, aftermarket parts, improvements, capacity, simplicity of use, just so much that you can do with a Glock that you can't do with any other pistol. Well, besides a beautiful 1911 :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
The only thing I know about the XD is it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch going down. So I cannot give an opinion other than that. :hrm:

I have 3 glocks thou; G17RTF2, G19c gen3, G19 gen4 (yes their almost as ugly) Had to return a gen4 for failure to extract and they sent me a new gun. Its only got a 100rds through it though, but it extracts unlike the previous one.

·
Premium Member
9,150 Posts
While they had the first successful poly gun. They were no where near the first. Makarov prototyped one in 1965. HK took the first one to market in 1970.
Steyr beat them by with the GB which they designed in 68, they came on the market the same year though. Glock pistols were designed by engineers hired by Gaston with input from professional shooters, military, police, etc..they went with a striker...hardly anything new there, used a modified Browning lockup...once again nothing much to write home about...and managed to cut down the number of parts and build a simple effective gun. It is what makes it excellent. Much like the AK it was an amalgamation of other people's ideas (Kalashnikov swears he'd never seen the Browning's Model 8 and it's Bolt and Safety but I swear that Mister Kalashnikov is the most inventive storyteller since Baron Munchhausen) that works very well.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I prefer the G-19, less is more for me. I don't need the extra safeties overall but that's just a personal thing. The XDM is a fine weapon as well that does feel good in hand and has proven to be reliable.

I really don't think you could choose wrong between the two guns mentioned.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
I voted Glock 19. But, your preference is what you should get.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.