1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks out there with a Dillon XL650 or 550 which primers does your loader best. I've been using CCI (because they are cheap) and having some problems with them. Some seem to out of round and some have minute pieces of metal sticking out from them; thereby, giving my loader a fit when I hit them. Thinking about going to Winchester - anyone have any thoughts or recommendations as to which primers to use?

Mark

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a Dillon 650 and have been using Winchester Large pistol primers exclusively and have not had any problems . They are cheep too & 14.50 to $18.50 per 1000.....Rofi

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use Winchester primers for my 9mm and 38Super and have never had any major problems. I sometimes had problems seating the Winchester large primers in my 45,especially with Winchester brass, so I switched to Federal primers and most of my seating problems in the 45 went away.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Dillon in the past has advised against using CCI primers in the priming systems, since some of them are bigger than others. I believe CCIs have improved, but there is not an easy way to know which ones you have.

You really need to make sure that you have the priming seater and the little case seater arm adjusted(the little stainless bent arm spring loaded thingy that adjusts with an allen screw) is adjusted for the round you are loading. This gave me fits until I called Dillon(god bless them) and we worked on it over the phone.

A LOT of people have been having problems with the "new" gold WIN primers, the silver ones worked great for me. I really only load federals anymore for my revos, and WIN for autos on my 1050, Got a chance to trade up my 650. Try different primers after you get it set up properly with Dillon's assistance and see which primer works for you. Good luck, DC

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts