1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an XS rear sight on ebay a few months. The design of these sights reminds me of the stock sights on my Kahr. I know the 3-dot sights are popular, but I've had more success with the v-notch and bead front. Probably comes from my experience with that setup on my Ruger Redhawk.

Now for the horror story. I took the sight to a local gun shop that advertised a "gunsmith". He said he could have the sight installed in a few hours. I gave him the rear sight and the gun, then offered to leave the instructions. He said he's installed plenty of sights and doesn't need to read any instructions. Dipstick probably meant he couldn't understand the long words. I came back to find all sorts of dents in the side of the sight and a scuff on the side of my slide. Had he read the instructions, the genius would have seen that you need to file the sight so it goes halfway in with finger pressure, then use a soft punch to center it and tighten it with the setscrews.

I expected him to fix it, but he informed me that he didn't have the time as that was his last day in business and he would be closing his shop the following day! (My apologies to all of the real gunsmiths for applying the same title to this guy. Note I put it in quotes to show I don't really mean it.)

Luckily my wife offered to buy me a new set of XS sights for Xmas to replace the ruined one. I've got an eye on a set on eBay. If I don't win that auction, I'll just order a set from Fusion Firearms.

Has anyone here used the XS sights on their Bobtail? Does the Commander-length barrel require a different height front sight, or does the standard Novak-cut 1911 XS sight set work fine? Anyone have pics of these on their gun?

Thanks everyone!

Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Twistedsteel said:
cool but not very good pics of the sights:scratch:
I'm still trying to get my camera to focus properly on the front sight. For some reason the camera also seems to lengthen the perspective. When I look at the front sight, its about twice as wide as the white stripe on the rear sight. When I look at it through the camera lens, it shrinks to the same width, sometimes narrower. Any ideas on how to get it to look right? Any photo experts here? I'm just using a pocket digital camera.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) I just got back from the range. The new sights are great! Very easy to see. I'm putting a set on my MK9 next!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts