1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here, been lurking etc for a bit. Anyway, I just picked up a Colt XSE Cmdr the weekend before Christmas. The first range session loosened up every screw on the gun, grips and rear sight locking screw. I caught them all just in time. That was a 100 rd session.

I just took it out (almost ready to all it "her" since I'm getting quite pleased with this gun) on New Years Day for a 200 rd session. I didn't clean it from the first 100 rds. It shot OK, nothing to write home about. Then my shooting buddy who's big into Colt 1911s suggested I try the "field trigger job". I pushed up on the hammer to put pressure on all the engagement parts and pulled the trigger (gun empty of course) about 10 or 20 times. WOW! What a difference.

The trigger was pretty good out of the box, but now it's great. My group sizes shrunk down nicely at all ranges and was most noticeable at 25 yards.

I've stayed away from 1911s for many years now and Colt in particular due to IPSC shooting experience in the early 1990s, lots of jam-O-matics. I have to say I'm quite pleased with this purchase. This gun may well replace my Glock 29 as a primary carry gun if it continues to perform.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Then my shooting buddy who's big into Colt 1911s suggested I try the "field trigger job". I pushed up on the hammer to put pressure on all the engagement parts and pulled the trigger (gun empty of course) about 10 or 20 times. WOW! What a difference.
I have never heard of this "field trigger job" can someone elaborate.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't hear about a field trigger job until New Year's Day either. I was hoping some one here has heard of it.

I do know that it seemed to smooth out the engagement surfaces of the fire control parts and gave me a very nice trigger.

I'm going to have to run another 100 or 200 rds through it but I think this gun is going to be a keeper. I'm pleasantly surprised by it.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I have heard of the "field trigger job." Old Army guys told me about it -- and you know that old Army guys always know what they're talking about. It actually works to a certain extent. You can also break some parts if the sear / hammer engagement is not real good. I'm sure the very mention of this is enough to give a modern pistolsmith the vapors.

I would never recommend it to anyone else.

ML

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have heard of the "field trigger job." Old Army guys told me about it -- and you know that old Army guys always know what they're talking about. It actually works to a certain extent. You can also break some parts if the sear / hammer engagement is not real good. I'm sure the very mention of this is enough to give a modern pistolsmith the vapors.

I would never recommend it to anyone else.

ML
Is it possible to break parts on a new gun (Colt with forged parts) by putting pressure on the hammer with a thumb?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Is it possible to break parts on a new gun (Colt with forged parts) by putting pressure on the hammer with a thumb?
You would have to ask someone with more smithing knowledge than I have.

There are several top notch pistolsmiths on the board .....

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You would have to ask someone with more smithing knowledge than I have.

There are several top notch pistolsmiths on the board .....
Thanks for the info.....

All that aside if this gun keeps on running like they way it is Colt may have earned a new customer.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also recently purchased one of these. Very please with it. 1 tight shooter.
How many rounds through it up to now?
Have you tried any after market mags and if so how did they work?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No aftermarket mags yet and I only have maybe 250 thru it but no malfunctions and it shoots dead on point of aim, point of impact. Nice tight groups too..:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
PS also forgot its a light weight, which is a first for me. All my other Colts are full size Govts/ all steel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Glad you like your's. I've been shooting/carrying a Glock 29 for many years now but I have to say I like this XSE Cmdr. I was a bit hesitant to buy a Colt or 1911 but thus far I'm very happy with it.

I got a shell plate/conversion for my Dillon 550 for Christmas and already had some dies. Looks like I'll be getting into reloading some .45 instead of 10mm!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts