1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY Y'ALL,

I'M READY TO DITCH MY "LOADED" SPRINGFIELD. I'VE FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY THAT IT'S TOO PICKY WITH AMMO AND THE PARKERIZED FINISH IS WEARING QUICKLY (UN-HOLSTERING AND RE-HOLSTERING). I LIKE THE FEATURES ON THE XSE AND I LIKE THE STAINLESS FINISH WITH THE ROLL MARKS. CAN THE XSE FILL THE JACK OF ALL TRADES SHOES (RELIABLE DUTY GUN AND TARGET SHOOTER) WITHOUT HAVING TO MODIFY IT?

THANKS

:barf:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
First of all, PLEASE DON'T TYPE IN ALL CAPS!!!! :)

Second, it depends on what you consider "target shooting." If you are talking about a gun you can take to a NRA bullsye match, no. If you are talking about punching holes in paper for fun, sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry 'bout the caps and no I don't mean USPSA shooting. Reliablity is my main concern. I don't want to have to be constantly tweaking my gun to keep it functioning reliably and accurately.

:barf:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Welcome to the 1911 Forum.

I have an XSE Commander. It did not function as well as it should have with the supplied Colt 8-round magazine. It does really well with Wilson and Chip McCormick magazines. It feeds Federal 230gr Hydrshoks (for carry) as well as my 200gr LSWC handloads.

I didn't like the geometry of the original grip safety, so I swapped it out with a Wilson drop-in beavertail. It truly "dropped in." No fitting required on mine. I am pleased with my XSE.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If Colt had used a normal-looking beavertail, used any kind of modern-looking sights, and made the rounds of the gun a little less coarse-looking, they would have had a modern-style worldbeater. It would essentially be a loaded Springer or Kimber Custom that (1) works, and (2) was a real Colt.

Instead, it looks like Colt tried and failed, out of cluelessness, to compete in that market.

Back to the question: it should be a reliable gun, but not a real target shooter without adjustable sights.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Shmackey said:
Instead, it looks like Colt tried and failed, out of cluelessness, to compete in that market.
Yep. That's been commented on a bunch of times here before.

That said, if you like the features get the XSE. But it really doesn't have anything on the 01991 series guns that are less expensive.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've got over 3200 round through my XSE govt model without a hitch, the grip safety is no big deal for me. The only thing I have changed was polishing the trigger serrations so that they didn't bight my finger so much and install a Colt plastic arched main spring housing.

The XSE balances very well and is very accurate.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Great gun. I've put more rounds through mine this year than any other gun I own. the 3 dot sights are easy to see, and I wouldn't mind a set of those on my Rock Island Armory. the beavertail, while a bit unusual, works and hasn't caused me any problems. If you just want a stainless Colt go with Castlebravo's suggestion of the O1991 stainless and have it modified to suit your needs. the only thing that the Colts need is a good rounding of the edges as many are sharp.

Tim

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've been extremely happy with my XSE. I did a couple of mods myself (S&A MSH, Wilson drop in beavertail and thumb safety) and the gun is great as is. I go back and forth between a GI and FLGR and overall can't find any difference between the two. I had originally planned on having this gun customized, but was really happy with the simple mods I made that I decided to leave it the way it with just my mods. I like my 1st XSE so much that I decided to buy a second XSE to be customized.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts