1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some feedback regarding the XSE, Government model, blued version. How many of you guys own one? How's the reliability out of the box? Have any had to go back to Colt? Also, I'd really appreciate pics of your pistols.

Thanks.

Gotti.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
Nice contemporary-featured 1911. Mine is a great gun, stone reliable (typical experience with Colts for me), excellent defense accuracy, beautifully fit and finished. I think the move to Novak-style sights was a good move, but they should have been done with Novak compatibility. But I don't feel any need to replace mine with Novaks. Also, the duckbill grip safety is a weak point for me, but that's easy to replace. All in all, a very good gun which Colt can make "great" with a couple of tweaks. I've been toying around with features and the gun at present has stock flat checkered MSH, stock ambi thumb safety, Kimber match trigger, and Wilson grip safety. The pics below represent configurations I tried-out a while back.

· Registered
144 Posts
The rear sight is not a problem if you want to switch to a real Novak, but your stuck with the front sight unless you have a gunsmith make one from scratch. Other than the front sight and the beaver-tail, it's a great Colt.

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DHart said:
Nice contemporary-featured 1911. Mine is a great gun, stone reliable (typical experience with Colts for me), excellent defense accuracy, beautifully fit and finished. I think the move to Novak-style sights was a good move, but they should have been done with Novak compatibility. But I don't feel any need to replace mine with Novaks. Also, the duckbill grip safety is a weak point for me, but that's easy to replace. All in all, a very good gun which Colt can make "great" with a couple of tweaks. I've been toying around with features and the gun at present has stock flat checkered MSH, stock ambi thumb safety, Kimber match trigger, and Wilson grip safety. The pics below represent configurations I tried-out a while back.

Dhart, thanks for you reply. I really love the looks of the XSE. I'm even starting to like the forward cocking serrations. Have you had any failures, whatsoever?

Thanks.

Gotti.

· Registered
189 Posts
Mine has been very reliable. No failures of any kind with about 400 rounds through it now. It did have to go back to Colt once though. The slide was rubbing really bad on the dust cover and the front sight fell off. Colt had it back to me in about five weeks. I really like it now.

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
zephyr said:
Mine has been very reliable. No failures of any kind with about 400 rounds through it now. It did have to go back to Colt once though. The slide was rubbing really bad on the dust cover and the front sight fell off. Colt had it back to me in about five weeks. I really like it now.

How did they reapair the slide rubbing problem? What did they do they do to secure the sight?

Thanks.
Gotti.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
Gotti... mine has been utterly reliable from the first round. This is typical of new Colts. I've bought over twenty of them and can say with assurance that the odds are very good that you can pull a new Colt out of the box and expect reliable functioning from the get-go. Of course there can be a mag related issue as with any gun, but generally speaking, I don't think any other brand offers better reliable functioning right out of the box than Colt does. To me there is nothing more exasperating than buying a gun and having functioning problems....NOT a good thing when it comes to a defense tool. Cosmetic issues are something you can usually figure out before you buy. Even buying online, I've called the sellers and asked them to inspect the weapons I considered buying... asking them to check the very things I would check if I were buying the gun in person. They've checked those items for me and with their assurance that those items are OK, I've proceeded with internet purchases and had good success that way.

· Registered
189 Posts
The notes on the work order said something like "adjust slide to frame fit, refinish slide". They didn't go into a lot of detail. I noticed that the slide to frame fit was much tighter after I got it back. Before there was quite a bit or horizontal play. There is no rubbing now. It's a keeper now.

The front sight looks a little different now too. There is a dimple on the top of the sight that is not on the orginal sight. I'm not sure what the difference is but it is solid now. The woman that I spoke to at Colt said they have been having problems with the sights falling off.

I would recommend giving any Colt a good look over before buying (of course I always recommend this for any brand). I also had a new Commander XSE that I bought at the same time. I had lots of failures with it and cosmetically it was horrible. It went back to Colt twice and was still not at all reliable. The third time back, they kept it and sent me a check.

With that said, I still want a commander and will probably buy another one. :)

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zephyr said:
The notes on the work order said something like "adjust slide to frame fit, refinish slide". They didn't go into a lot of detail. I noticed that the slide to frame fit was much tighter after I got it back. Before there was quite a bit or horizontal play. There is no rubbing now. It's a keeper now.

The front sight looks a little different now too. There is a dimple on the top of the sight that is not on the orginal sight. I'm not sure what the difference is but it is solid now. The woman that I spoke to at Colt said they have been having problems with the sights falling off.

I would recommend giving any Colt a good look over before buying (of course I always recommend this for any brand). I also had a new Commander XSE that I bought at the same time. I had lots of failures with it and cosmetically it was horrible. It went back to Colt twice and was still not at all reliable. The third time back, they kept it and sent me a check.

With that said, I still want a commander and will probably buy another one. :)
Zephyr, thanks for the feedback. Colt does have a good customer service department. Did Colt pay shipping both ways? I have many Colt 1911's and I love every single one of them, even if they sometimes lack cosmetically. I can honestly say that I've never had a Colt 1911 that wouldn't function properly when loaded with good mags and ammo. Thanks again.

Gotti.

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DHart said:
Gotti... mine has been utterly reliable from the first round. This is typical of new Colts. I've bought over twenty of them and can say with assurance that the odds are very good that you can pull a new Colt out of the box and expect reliable functioning from the get-go. Of course there can be a mag related issue as with any gun, but generally speaking, I don't think any other brand offers better reliable functioning right out of the box than Colt does. To me there is nothing more exasperating than buying a gun and having functioning problems....NOT a good thing when it comes to a defense tool. Cosmetic issues are something you can usually figure out before you buy. Even buying online, I've called the sellers and asked them to inspect the weapons I considered buying... asking them to check the very things I would check if I were buying the gun in person. They've checked those items for me and with their assurance that those items are OK, I've proceeded with internet purchases and had good success that way.
Dhart, I have to say that your Colt is really nice looking. I definitely agree with your assessment with regards with Colt .45s being the most reliable of the bunch. Also, you really take good pics of your guns. What type of camera do you use?

Thanks again.

Gotti.

· Registered
189 Posts
They always paid shipping back to me. Half the time the reimbursed me for shipping to them. I think they would have paid the other times as well if I would have reminded them too. I meant to but never got around to it.

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zephyr said:
They always paid shipping back to me. Half the time the reimbursed me for shipping to them. I think they would have paid the other times as well if I would have reminded them too. I meant to but never got around to it.

Zephyr, thanks again for responding. Colt, they definitely go the extra mile, don't they. Best.

Gotti.

· Banned
4,085 Posts
Gotti... I use a Canon 20D with a variety of lenses. But the brand/type of camera has little to do with picture quality... most good quality digital cameras these days can produce excellent results in the right hands. ;)

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DHart said:
Gotti... I use a Canon 20D with a variety of lenses. But the brand/type of camera has little to do with picture quality... most good quality digital cameras these days can produce excellent results in the right hands. ;)

Thanks for getting back to me. I have a very good digital camera, however, I still haven't figured it out, yet. However, you take some awesome pics. Keep it up and thanks.

Gotti.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.