1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever seen the white dot inserts in Colt's fixed rear sights pop out? Well, one of mine did on my XSE during its first box of shells fired. I'd rather not hand paint one in its place, so does anyone have any advice? Incidentally, how do you take the rear sight off?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hmmmm... I'd say that's unusual. I would paint one on. You can drift the rear sight out with a brass punch and a non-marring hammer. Lyman sells such a kit at sporting goods stores. Good Luck, ACP

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have seen many of the white dots "jump" off the sights both front and rear. I dont know what kind of cheap paint Colt is using but it sure wont stick. I see no problem with painting them back in if you want white dots. I dont care for them so I paint black over mine.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My new XSE blew the rear sight to the right about 1/8" after her first 50 rounds. I noticed this when I was cleaning after the range. I grabbed it with my hand and it slid out of its dovetail with little effort. A little lock tight did the trick. The white dots seemed to be holding there place, but after shooting more rounds out of here I just couldn't deal with the combat sights any longer, so I got Novak sights installed. Much better sight picture and looks sexy now almost like a XS.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have had several of the white dots pop out.I think they may be plastic inserts.What I do is use a white paint stick to fill the hole,then it's a done deal.Even looks better.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It's not unusual, it's just painted in.
I've seen just about every gun with white dots lose the dots :)
Sig, Beretta, whatever.
Just paint a new one in or get some night sights maybe, depending on how your fancy strikes. With 1911's, customizing is half the fun.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Emmo I have found that a Dykem Mark and Code paint marker fits perfectly in the holes on all of my white dot sights (any mfg). It is easy to apply and leaves a perfect dot if you take your time.
Their address is itwDYKEM, Olathe Ks 66061. The product # is white 84003.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who took time to help me. I'll probably just paint a new one in. I'm just afraid I won't get the paint in a perfect white dot. Anyway, I took it to the range the other day with a couple other folks even though I was a little nervous about letting them handle it since they don't seem to have as much respect for good guns as I do (slamming their slides and such). And by God it turned out one of my worst fears came true! After it was fired by all and I was putting it away, I noticed two copper colored dots on the top of the slide. As I rubbed them with my thumb I concluded that it was probably rust which had been rubbed into the bead-blasted slide top. I looked around and noticed a 55 gallon steel drum that had a coating of rust covering it. The other shooter's had their range bags and supplies sitting on top of it. Can anyone draw the next conclusion? I'm sure it was sat up there when I wasn't paying attention
. I was very pissed off. Anyway, I used some alcohol to clean the rust off, but now there are two small nicks where the hardest contact was. And since they are on the bead-blasting, I can't buff them out. Pardon my French, but Son-Of-A-Bitch!! Moral of the story is don't go shooting with people who don't know how to handle guns.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Emmo
Painful story to hear about. But guns that are to be used will get marks, nicks, dings, scratches, etc.. Some avoidable some not.
If it's a masterpiece you hang it on a wall and hope the fire God don't come, if it’s a beautiful over the counter gun shoot it, clean it, show it, enjoy it. After all that is what it's for.
I have had worse things happen to my NIB guns that never made it to the range without a nick or scratch on them because I just can’t help myself fondling a brand new gun for hours.
The most recent happened to my NIB Colt Officer XS. I did it, and it's just to stupid and embarrassing to share here.

I have sent NIB guns back to the factory that never seen a round in the chamber because of me playing with them and causing some kind of damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts