1911Forum banner

Y'all almost have me convinced!

3K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  Freddymac 
#1 ·
I have saved up some funds...done some reconsidering about somethings....and I'm pondering either the S&W 1911 stainless or the Springfield Loaded. I like both of them, and they're both close in price. I'm really leaning toward the S&W. Talk me into it.
For those of you more experienced with these guns, which would you choose if you could only get one, and why?

#2 ·
If the S&W's I handled lately are any indication of what's coming out of the factory, that is the way to go.

A shooting buddy just bought two, a steel frame and a scandium frame. Both shoot well and are absolutely reliable.

Go with "Smith!

#3 ·
I think you probably wouldn't go wrong with either, so its really a win/win situation whichever way you go, right? :)

I pesonally am not a huge fan of ambi safeties, so the fact that the smith doesn't have one is a good thing. OTOH, the springer had the night sights, which are nice...

They do it on purpose--there's never a model that's JUST 100% what you want...

#4 ·
I have both Springfeid loaded and S&W 1911 Target model.I shoot the Smith more. It feels diferent than the Springfield. It also shoots where I aim it.POA=POI. The springer is a little low and to the left. Could be the sights but that the way it shoots. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Bought a 1911 Sc and shoot it with a bunch of buddies who own most of brands listed on this site. They all are impressed with this pistol especially it's accuracy and reliability. And it is light. Some of these guys are real critical so their reaction matters to me as this is my first auto. I really like it and would recommend one without reservation.

#7 ·
Do a search for problems in both Smith and Springer rooms as in failure to feed... "You'll get your answer on which one to go with." Smith's seem fantasticly reliaible..... Mine is!

#8 ·
I have the 1911PD (4.25") and the fullsize stainless SC. I also have the SA loaded Champ. The loaded came first and the SW's were bought later. I like the loaded, but if I had bought the SW's first, I probably wouldn't have the springer. Like the other posts, I don't have a need for an ambi safety nor do I really have to have night sights when 3 dots are fine for my tastes. I group much better with the SW's and the best I can do with the springer is about 6" at 7 yards (which is just fine for a defensive pistol but the SW's do better, at least for me).

#9 ·
I have both and am very happy that I do. The Springer Black Stainless is my USPSA Limited 10 competition pistol and is nearly ideal for that role. The S&W 1911 Sc is primarily for carry but is an able backup for the Springer if it should break during a match. The springer has over 8000 rounds without a problem. The Sc is much newer and only has about a 1000 rounds through it but again without a problem.

I like the fact that both have life time warranties although the S&W is only for the original owner.

You really can't go wrong either way. It just depends on which manufacturer makes the pistol that best fits your personal needs.

#10 ·
S&W customer service is outstanding to boot. I can't speak for Springer's, but I do have personal experience with S&W's and can say for a fact that they did what it took to make me happy (one prepaid FedEx roundtrip to get my stainless 5" serviced). Nice shooter too with zero malfunctions!:rock:

#12 ·
currently have two S&W's (one of which is the stainless) and five Springers (two of which are Loadeds). both makers put out a fine gun and you should be well pleased with either. both have fine customer service.

if you are tending toward the S&W go that way.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

#13 ·
All right.....it's done. My new S&W 1911 (108282) is ordered. Ordered it from the Shooters Box. They advised that they inspect each gun before it is shipped to ensure they don't mail an obviously defective one.
I like that.
It was $650 plus $20 S&H. Not too bad, I thought.
I'll post a report and pics when it comes in.

#14 ·
busdriver72 said:
I have saved up some funds...done some reconsidering about somethings....and I'm pondering either the S&W 1911 stainless or the Springfield Loaded. I like both of them, and they're both close in price. I'm really leaning toward the S&W. Talk me into it.
For those of you more experienced with these guns, which would you choose if you could only get one, and why?
S&W SS is the one......Mine was $760.00 out the door.
:rock:

#16 · (Edited)
Both (SA & S&W) are great companies and have quality customer service, as I have used both of their customer service sections. If you ask on the S&W forum you'll get S&W as the choice, same on the SA forum. Go put your hands around some of the different models offered by each company and go with what you like. It is a win - win situation for you.

Oh, and the SA's are 70 series where the S&W are 80 series. I like the 70 series 1911's much better.

#17 · (Edited)
I'm real pleased with my S&W1911. It is the #108284 model with the full length guide rod, adjustable sights, ambi saftey, etc., etc., etc. I had it to the indoor range a few days ago and shot a five shot group leaving a one inch hole in the center of the bullseye. (two hand hold) This is a good as I can shoot. What more can I say.

#20 ·
Congrats!

army_eod said:
Don't know if it is true, but my gun dealer says that Smith makes the 1911 frames for Kimber.

Is this true?
Used to be don't know if still is. To Bus Congrats I think you'll be very happy with your choice. I've had mine for 2 years and am very happy with mine!:)

#24 · (Edited)
Kimber denies on their site that S&W makes anything for them. I bought a book called "Living with the 1911" by Robert Boatman, with some stuff from Jeff Cooper also, and Boatman says S&W made forgings for Kimber at one time.

I saw a posting on ar15.com where a guy said all of his friends refer to the SW1911 as the Glock of 1911s. Compliment or insult, depends on the individual opinion.

#25 ·
Poor quality on my SW1911

I had a gun smith work my trigger to reduce the factory 7.5lbs. While doing so he discovered the sear spring leaves both right side and left side, interferring wht the housing of the grip.
This interference left the factory and I wonder how the spring ever functioned.
I am very concerned about the quality of Smith & Wesson parts.
I sent them an e-mail message explaining the situation and have not heard anything back from them.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.