1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm smiling up a storm at the moment. :D Now I just need to go to the range and see how these do.

Specifically these are:

Speer .45 TMJ 230 gr RN
5.5 gr Unique
CCI Magnum Large Pistol Primers
OAL 1.265

I made 12. I'll see how these do and see how I need to change the recipe. :D

Mel

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Glad you got it figured out...
I like those TMJ bullets, I use them for my practice rounds too.

I noticed you said CCI magnum primers, do they say CCI 350?...I use the Large Pistol Primers which are CCI 300.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. :) They're CCI 350 Primers.

Mel

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hmmm...I didn't know they would fit, but then there's alot that I don't know:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too :) There is alot to learn but I'm anticipating that I'm going to enjoy learning it. :)

Mel

·
Registered
173 Posts
Magnum primers for a 45 ACP? I wouldn't use them unless you have a published reloading manual that calls for them. Magnum primers have quite a bit more 'fire' than 'normal' primers. I would expect this could alter the powder burning, and thus the pressure.

I don't recall seeing any loads that specify them in my references.

Just my limited experienced $0.02.

Big Al

·
Registered
496 Posts
Good luck with your loads!! Isn't it fun?! I am not sure about those magnum primers. I recently loaded some 230s with 5.5 grns of Unique and Winchester Large Pistol primers. It was a nice practice load, although a little soft for what I was looking for. Upped it to 6.0. You may be ok with those 350s with that charge of Unique, but if these more experienced gentlemen say it is a bad idea, it might be.

·
Registered
85 Posts

As high as the price of ammo is you will be the envy of all of your friends. you will be able to shoot long after they are either broke or out of ammo or both. +1 on the 300's may not hurt anything but why take a chance on it. Save the primers that way you can buy a 44 or 41mag next. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.:rock:

·
Banned
292 Posts
you should only use mag primers when the bullet requires it and 45 acp does not and they should not be used,READ YOUR LOAD SPECS not even all magnum pistols require mag primers once again READ YOUR LOAD SPECS

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm smiling up a storm at the moment. :D Now I just need to go to the range and see how these do.

Specifically these are:

Speer .45 TMJ 230 gr RN
5.5 gr Unique
CCI Magnum Large Pistol Primers
OAL 1.265

I made 12. I'll see how these do and see how I need to change the recipe. :D

Mel
Congratulations on your first Handloads!
If you think you have a big smile now wait till you’ve lit off that first round:)
Let us know how they did for you
Good Luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So shot my first handloads and they shot fine. :) The recoil was a bit less than commercial Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ but the pattern was essentially equivalent. :)

Also no problems at all with the magnum primers though next batch _will_ have regular CCI 300 pistol primers. The only thing I noticed is that I saw it spark more on the back-end. I checked the brass and the gun and all looks fine. :)

Again I'd like to thank everyone :) I'm going to have a blast. :D I've also got new die plates on the way so that once I dial in a setting, I'll hopefully never have to remove the dies from the plate. ;)

Mel

·
Registered
257 Posts
Isn't that a great feeling? And you even got sparks with yours. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Just getting started

I got reloading equipment for Christmas and I'm about ready to et started. Where are you guys getting your bullets? I think I'd prefer jacketed bullets over lead. Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For me, I'm currently picking up bullets at my local firearm/sporting shop but I'll be buying in bulk soon. Probably Cabelas.

Mel

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
It is a great feeling to shoot your first loads. It was a long time ago for me but I remember how proud I was that the gun didn't blow up and I still had all of my fingers. :) Congrats. Oh, my call is K0OI.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Melody,
Congratulations and welcome to the reloading club! There is nothing like the satisfaction of shooting your own reloads. I still remember the special pride I got when shooting my first reloads so long ago. And if you don't get careless while reloading, it can be safer than driving your car. Keep at it!

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. I've been having fun. Made another 24 last night. :) It would have been 25 but I had one that needed to have the neck checked again.. put it into the machine like a regular one and promptly decapped it. oops! I fished out that primer later and put it into some oil so that it would be neutralized.

I'm going slow while I'm doing this -- definitely no speed freak in me. I'd rather have all of fingers, toes, limbs, etc. after a session than go fast and crank out a ton per hour. I just need about 200-300 per week. :) I just started using it like a progressive instead of a single stage last night but previously I was doing each cartridge individually until I get comfortable with how things feel.

I'm _all_ for safety. I'm trained in First Aid and such (I'm a first responder and a member of my work's ERT) but my husband isn't. I always tell him if he's hurt he'll be ok but if I am, I'm in trouble. ;) So tend to try to be cautious. :)

Mel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts